Gluten is the water insoluble component of the proteins found in wheat, barley and rye. Most of these plant products are composed of the gluten. It gives bread and pita its chewy texture and sweet flavor. This substance is harmless to people who are not celiac or gluten-intolerant. What happens to these people when they consume gluten is that they suffer from multiple organ diseases. It creates reactions like what dust does to asthmatics. Most of the bread from our local bakery is made out of these plant products, but it doesn’t mean that we will have to stop eating bread. There are ways to make this low carb, gluten free bread. Here is one of the recipes.
- Gather all your ingredients on a single table.
- Mix all dry ingredients except the yeast. These ingredients include the following: 2 ½ cup white rice flour or gluten free flour, 1 tsp xanthan gum or guar gum, 2/3 cup dry milk powder and 1 tsp salt. Mix them well.
- Divide your 1 ¾ cups of warm water (105 to 110 degrees Celsius) into 1½ and ¼ cups.
- Place 1 packet of active yeast in the ¼ cup of warm water to prime it for a couple of minutes. Mix them up.
- Add two eggs and 2 tablespoon of baking oil into the plain warm water. Mix them as best as you can.
- When you notice that the yeast combination has risen and bubbles are forming on the surface, the priming has succeeded. If you notice that there are no changes with your yeast, start back to making the combination using a different batch of yeast. Do not use the one that had failed because the yeast in that bag might have died already.
- Mix the yeast bowl with the other wet bowl.
- To make the sourdough, mix all the ingredients.
- Stir them thoroughly until you have very sticky and slightly brownish dough.
- Preheat your oven to reach 200 degree while transferring the dough to a loaf pan.
- Mold it to form the shape of a loaf using your spatula before covering it with a loosely laden tin foil.
- Stop the oven at 200 degrees then place the dough inside. Let it rise for about 1 ½ inch before removing it from the oven.
- Let your oven reach 350 degrees Celsius before baking your risen dough in less than 45 minutes but not less than 35 minutes.
- Check to see if the bread has turned brown.
- Stick a thermometer in the bread and see if the core temperature is somewhere around 210 degrees. If the temperature is less than 180 degrees, let the bread sit in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Let it cool down a bit before slicing the loaf.
Baking gluten free bread is actually not as different as that of your regular wheat bread. However, these products can last longer in storage. There are also ways to make a dessert out of these wonderful gluten free products. But before you start filling your truck with the ingredients, keep in mind that the ingredients are highly expensive and you might want to keep your weekly intake of gluten free bread at the minimum.