Baked treats make a great gift on Valentines Day, and what could be more appropriate than heart shaped cookies? You can bake heart shaped cookies even if you don’t have a lot of experience in the kitchen. You can use any boxed mix or recipe for your heart shaped cookies, although sugar cookies are usually used because they roll out nicely and are easy to cut into a heart shape. Here’s how to bake heart shaped cookies:
Ingredients and supplies:
Cookie dough, using any boxed mix or recipe
Heart shaped cookie cutter or sharp knife
Frosting, food coloring, and frosting bag (optional)
- Make the cookie dough. Use your recipe or mix to make cookie dough. This can be as simple or as complicated as you make it. Simple sugar cookies make a delicious heart-shaped treat. You can make the cookie dough ahead of time; just refrigerate it until you’re ready to make the hearts.
- Prepare the oven and cookie sheet. Use the suggested temperature on the directions for your cookie dough. Grease the cookie sheet thoroughly; if your cookies stick, you may have to break them to remove them, and they won’t look like hearts anymore.
- Roll the dough. First, lightly flour your cutting board or countertop, as well as your rolling pin. Make sure you have enough room to work. Then roll out the dough to a thickness of between 1/4” and 1/3”.
- Cut out the cookies. For best results, use a heart shaped cookie cutter. If you don’t have one, you can also form them by hand, or use a sharp knife to cut out heart shapes. You may want to refrigerate the rolled-out dough for a few minutes if you’re not using cookie cutters. This will make it less likely to tear or become misshapen when you try to remove it from the countertop.
- Prepare the cookies for baking. Now, arrange the cookies on the baking sheet. Be sure to leave enough space, so that they don’t stick together while they bake. Add sprinkles now, or wait until they’re done in the oven and decorate with colored frosting.
- Bake the cookies. Bake your cookies for the length of time given in the directions for the cookie recipe. When you remove them from the oven, let them cool completely before you try to handle them. Otherwise, they could break. When done, frost them if you’d like. You can even use frosting pens to write messages on the cookies. Then enjoy!
Bake heart-shaped cookies for a great gift for your girlfriend or boyfriend, family, friends, or classmates! They are very simple and fun to make and decorate, and you can make them in any cookie flavor you want.