Are you out of fresh ideas? Do you wish to serve your family a delicious home-cooked meal? Would you like to serve a meal that is easy to make, quick to do while not costing you a fortune in ingredients? Well, I invite you to make this delicious meatloaf, Mom's style!
If you're looking for more low-cost recipes, then I recommend you check
out Dining on a Dime - you'll find lots of delicious dishes that won't
break the bank!
Here are the ingredients and the cooking tools that you need to make this fantastic meatloaf:
- 1 large package of ground beef (1-2 lbs)
- 1 egg
- 10 crackers or 2 tablespoons of regular oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic
- 5-7 medium size white potatoes
- 1 small bag of peeled baby carrots
- 1 small cooking onion
- 1 small can of tomato soup
- 2 small cans of water
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper (freshly ground is tastier)
- 1 small roasting pan or deep oven dish with a lid
- 1 rolling pin
- 1 small resealable bag
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 chef knife
- 1 cutting board
- 1 vegetable peeler
- 1 wide spatula
Here are the following steps that you must follow in order to cook delicious meatloaf like Mom made.
- Preheat the oven. Preheat the oven to a temperature of 400 degrees Fahrenheit. This will help diminish the cooking time as the meatloaf will start cooking at the desired temperature, right away. Do not keep opening and closing the oven to verify if it has reached the right temperature as it will take 10-15 minutes longer to do so and it will lower the temperature of approximately 25 degrees Fahrenheit each time you open the oven door.
- Preparation is the secret! Put the ground beef, the egg, the salt and pepper and the oatmeal in a mixing bowl. If you prefer to use crackers, put them in the resealable bag, close it and use a rolling pin to crush them until they reach a fine grind or texture. Add them to the mixing bowl and mix the ingredients thoroughly with your hands. Please note that while regular ground beef is cheaper, lean or extra-lean meat provides more meat than fat. Regular gives less meat!
- Shape it all up. When the mixing of the ingredients is done, shape the meat as a loaf, then delicately put it down in a small roasting pan or deep oven dish. The combination of egg and crackers/oatmeal will allow the meat to keep its given shape and to be sliced without falling apart.
- Top it all off. Open the can of tomato soup and pour its content on top of the meatloaf. Cover it all up with a generous layer of tomato soup. Then, use the can and fill it twice with cold water. Pour it around the meatloaf. Use a wide spatula to delicately lift the meatloaf in order to avoid burning or sticking to the pan or dish.
- Add up to it. Peel, wash and dice 5-7 medium size white potatoes. Don't cut them too big, as smaller pieces will cook better and faster. Peel, wash and dice 1 small cooking onion. Add the potatoes, the onion and the peeled and washed baby carrots to the liquid surrounding the meatloaf. This delicious side dish will cook at the same time as the main dish and will benefit from its juices and seasonings.
- Cooking time! Put the lid on the pan or dish. Put the roasting pan or deep oven dish on the middle or second lowest grill in the oven. Let the meatloaf cook at the desired temperature of 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 1.5-2 hours. The longer, the better, as it will be thoroughly cooked. The varied cooking time is applied as the amount of meat, its shape and thickness may vary a bit.
- Let it rest. Once the meatloaf is cooked, put the roasting pan or deep oven dish on top of the stove and let it rest for 5 minutes. This resting time will allow the juices to flow freely through the meatloaf.
- Slice, serve and enjoy! Cut thick slices of meatloaf and serve it with a side of potatoes, onions and baby carrots. A full meal, Mom's style meatloaf will awaken your family's taste buds. Believe me, they will ask for more! This amount will serve up to 4 adults or will feed a family of 4 for two days. Enjoy!
As you can see, this delicious meatloaf will not only provide a good, hot home-cooked meal for your family, it will also be easy to make, quick to create, cheap to buy and healthy to eat. Believe me when I say that not only the smell will delight your senses, the taste will be an active factor as well. Let's feed a good and tasty meal to your family now that you know how to cook a delicious meatloaf, Mom's style!