Aush (also spelled Aash) is a delicious Afghan traditional food that can be served as a side dish. Aush (noodles with meat sauce) is a combination of taste and nutrition.
Learn how to quickly cook this tasty food.
Making the noodles:
You will need the following to prepare the Aush noodles. Many people prefer to prepare noodles and dry them for future use; the drier the noodles, the tastier and easier it will be to cook.
- 2-3 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoon oil (any oil that goes with your taste)
- Water as needed
- Salt as per your taste
- Take a large bowl and pour the 2 cups of the flour into it. Add oil and salt and mix well. Now gradually add water to form solid dough. Knead properly and add extra flour to have hard dough. Break up the dough into small ball-shaped pieces and pour some flour on the top of them. Cover them in a plastic sheet for about 35-40 minutes.
- Cover the cutting-board with some flour, take the dough balls and roll them out to form a thin sheet of dough. Get a sharp knife or cutter and cut long thin threads or noodles of this flattened dough. Cut all the dough balls in the same manner to have some good noodles.
- Take a big cloth, place some flour on it and put the noodles in one half of the cloth. Cover them with the other half of it. Let it rest for more than 30 minutes to dry.
Combining the noodles with the rest of the ingredients to make Aush:
In addition to the noodles you made above, you'll need the following ingredients.
- Ground beef or mutton - ¾ pound
- Salt as desired
- 4-5 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- Ground black pepper, ground cumin, ground coriander
- Dried mint and chili
- Ground cinnamon, ground turmeric
- Canned kidney beans - 1 can
- Yellow split peas - 100g
- Tomato paste - 2 tablespoons
- 2-3 cups fresh yogurt
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 garlic gloves
- Prepare the noodles first. Half fill a deep pot with water and boil it. Add salt and 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. Add the noodles gradually and stir regularly to prevent them from sticking or melting down. Put the pot on medium-high heat and boil for 5 minutes or until the noodles are soft and tender. Add any vegetables such as spinach or carrots at this stage if you like. Drain the water completely and place the noodles and vegetables in a wide open pot to drain the remaining water.
- Boil and cook the split peas in a skillet. Make sure the peas are well cooked and tendered, drain the remaining water, and add the canned beans with the liquid and salt. Mix a little and add it to the noodles. Mix all of this together well and put it on low heat to keep the mixture hot until the rest of the recipe is prepared.
- Prepare the meat sauce for Aush. Fry 4 tablespoons oil in a skillet and add onions and garlic until onions are soft. Add the meat and fry until the ground meat is brown. Add water, tomato paste, coriander, pepper, ½ teaspoon turmeric, ½ teaspoon cinnamon and other spices. Cook on medium heat until meat absorbs the water and is cooked and tender.
- Prepare the yogurt mixture. Take a mixer and mix yogurt, fresh chopped coriander, chili (you can also use vinegar if you like) and mint and mix it well.
- Take a deep dish and put a layer of the yogurt mixture in it. Add the hot noodles mixture and add another light layer of yogurt mixture. Top it with the meat sauce. Take a small bowl and put the remaining yogurt mixture and serve it with fresh salad and vegetables.
Delicious hot Aush is ready to be served. Enjoy it.