Cooking belt fish is not a hard task. Many people like the taste and texture of belt fish. Another name for the belt fish is the "large head hair tail." In Japan, they also call it the Tachiuo. The belt fish is a type of cutlass fish and is long in size. You usually can spot a belt fish because of the size and the color (silver). These types of fish like to hang out in shallow water in the warmer regions of the ocean. It is also usually served raw in a Japanese dish called sashimi. There are different ways it can be served, such as grilled or filleted. Traditional Japanese dishes like to add broth and vegetables to enhance taste and texture. This broth is often made of dried bonito flakes and kelp. The bonito flakes are also called "katsuo dashi." Here is how to get started making belt fish:
- Cut up a lot of skiitake mushroom and make sure to grate some daikon radish. This is good for flavor and to preserve the tenderness of the belt fish.
- Now you will need to broil the ingredients. You can do this by setting the oven to a broiling state. Take the belt fish and fillet it by cutting a series of diagonal slits. Do this for both sides of the fish. Make sure the cuts are shallow. Take a baking tray and base the bottom with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Pick up the belt fish and lay it neatly on the tray.
- The next step includes broiling the belt fish. Place the tray into the oven and let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- You will now add the ingredients that you prepared before the broiling of the fish (katsuo dashi) into a saucepan. Make sure the pan is heated before adding the ingredients. Also place the prepared shiitake mushrooms right into the saucepan along with the katsuo dashi. Your seasoning will be finished off with 1 tablespoon of salt, pepper and mirin. This will add extra flavoring to your belt fish.
- You are now ready to add the other ingredients. Add grated daikon radish into the saucepan containing the mixture. You should add only 1 cup. You will need to add 1 tablespoon of butter. Let it sit for about 5 minutes while it is cooking. Now you can serve the broiled belt fish along with the prepared mixture of daikon and mushrooms.