Most people think that a good beef stew requires a crock pot, gravy or a lot of liquid while nutrients drown in liquid and flavor and moisture escape in steam. On top of that, it requires a lot of time, a lot of cleaning and needs a lot of seasoning to add taste to it. Well, here is a different way to make beef stew, keep the maximum of nutrients where they should be in the first place and make it as tasty as can be. Time is not always available in large quantity so you may as well use it efficiently.
Just follow these steps to make a delicious beef stew!
Ingredients and cooking tools:
- 5-7 medium-size potatoes
- 1 bag of peeled baby carrots
- 1 pouch of onion soup mix
- 1 large package of beef stew (1-2 lbs)
- Cooking spray
- Roasting pan with a lid
- Some foil
- Preheating the oven is a must! Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Preheating the oven is important as it will start the cooking time faster by reaching the desired heat level prior to putting the food in the oven. Also put the cooking grill at the second lowest level or the middle level, depending on your oven.
- Food preparation. Wash 5 to 7 medium size potatoes and 1 small bag of peeled baby carrots. The amount of vegetables can vary according to the amount of people that it will feed. These amounts serve 4 to 6 adult portions. Peel and cut the potatoes in medium size cubes as larger cubes will take more time to cook. If you want more nutrients in your potatoes, brush likely their skin instead of peeling them. If you choose large carrots, the same process applies. Trim the fat off 1 large package of beef stew cubes.
- Prepare the roasting pan. Coat the inside of a roasting pan with cooking spray. Cover the bottom of the pan with foil but make the sheets large enough to fold on top of the stew when ready to cook. It will look like a pouch or packet. Use cooking spray on the foil as well to avoid sticking to the food.
- Final preparations. Lay the meat in the middle of the foil and spread it a bit as a thick layer of meat will take more time to cook. Surround it with the vegetables. Sprinkle the food with 1 pouch of onion soup mix. Do not add salt an pepper as the onion mix is all that you need. Cover the food by folding the foil on top of it.
- Cooking time! Cover the roasting pan with its lid. Put the pan in the oven and let it cook for a minimal time of 1 1/2 hour. It can cook up to 2 hours. When it is ready, let it rest 5 minutes on top of the stove before serving it.
- Serve and enjoy! Carefully open the lid, then the foil as hot steam could easily burn you. Mix the meat and vegetables before serving the stew. Taste the stew before adding other seasoning as you could be surprised by the fact that no extra seasonings are needed.
- Cleaning time! Because of the combined use of foil and cooking spray, you will see that no sticking has occurred making cleaning an easy task.
As you can see, cooking this tasty stew is as easy as 1-2-3! The preparation time is quick, the making of the stew is easy and you can clean the pan in a jiffy! To top it off, the nutrients were kept inside the food, where it should be in the first place, instead of drowning in gravy. The food retains its natural moisture and abundant flavors. Serve this nutritious meal to your family. They will beg you for more!