The process of distillation is also known as the separation of mixtures. Distillation is one of the main processes in making different types of beverages including gin. For distilling gin, various combinations of herbs are used to create a distinct taste. Probably the most important process for making gin is the distillation. Temperatures must be right and the right liquids must be collected during distillation to ensure that the outcome has all the flavors. If you want to try making your own gin at home instead of buying from the store, you can follow the simple steps below to learn how you can distill gin.
Here are the steps that you can follow if you want to learn how to distill gin:
- Ingredients and materials. The ingredients and materials that you will need for distilling gin include vodka, juniper berries, cinnamon, cardamom, coriander seed, root licorice powder. You can also add angelica root and orris root if they are available. You will also need a piece of cheesecloth, a large pot and a baking or cooking thermometer. You can also add other types of botanical extracts to the mixture if you want to achieve a specific type of flavoring. The important ingredient that must be present is juniper berries.
- Preparation. Place about 20 liters of vodka into the pot. Place crushed juniper berries, coriander seeds, cinnamon, root licorice powder and the roots on the cheesecloth. Secure the cheesecloth on top of the pot but make sure that it does not submerge in the vodka.
- Steeping process. When everything is ready, place the cheesecloth with the flavorings inside the pot with the vodka. Put the lid on the pot. The steeping process takes a couple of days up to a week. The longer you steep, the stronger the flavoring of the gin will be.
- Distillation. After steeping, the next step is the distillation process. Place the pot on your burner and heat it to 181 degrees Fahrenheit. It is important that you achieve this temperature for best results. Use the thermometer to check the temperature of your mixture. The safe temperature is anywhere from 181 to 187 degrees Fahrenheit. The liquids produced within this temperature are known as the ‘heart of the gin’ as it is the most flavorful.
- Set aside distilled gin. The one that you want to get is the gin from the middle cut distillation process. This is the mixture that is just right according to taste. Collect this mixture and place it inside a bottle for maturing. You can discard the rest of the liquid that is not produced at the right temperature.
These are the steps that you have to follow if you want to learn how to distil gin. It is better to read on how the distillation process goes so that you will have a good grasp of which liquids to take and which ones to discard. You can read more about the history and some facts about gin by visiting the website tasteoftx.com. Another good website with information on gin is tastings.com.