Busy pregnant mothers don’t have a lot of time to cook but need to make sure they are eating the right stuff. Pregnancy requires mothers to be extra careful about the nutritional content of the food that they eat. Whether a pregnant mother is underweight or overweight, she needs to make sure that the amount of food she is eating will be sufficient for her and her baby.
With all the hassle and work of everyday living coupled with the difficulties of carrying around a baby in the womb, it would be so difficult to prepare meals that require a lot of time and preparation. Of course, meals have to be healthy and complete. But who ever said that making healthy foods has to be complicated?
Nowadays, there are a lot of shows, magazines and videos online that feature quick and easy recipes for busy moms. One just needs to be extra careful which recipes to try out. Below are some pointers on how to find easy to cook recipes during pregnancy.
- The common adage “you are eating for two” when pregnant is not really a fact. The truth is, most of the food you will eat goes to you. Only 25% of the food you eat actually goes to your baby. So take your food with this in mind. You don’t really need all that food, do you? Adding 200-300 calories to your daily food intake is enough for your needs.
- Since you know your weight (both before your pregnancy and now that you are pregnant), you should be aware just how much weight you should be gaining. Underweight mothers need to gain more than the average 25-35 pounds while overweight moms should not gain more than 15 pounds.
- It’s what you eat that really counts. Have a calorie and nutrient meter on hand when planning your meals. This way you can make sure that you are eating the right amount of stuff and in just the right quantity.
- Look for quick and easy recipes in magazines. Food magazines usually provide their readers with quick and easy recipes that moms can easily follow. These magazines are aware that working moms need these types of recipes that would mean they are able to prepare dinner within 20-30 minutes.
- There are a lot of recipe books in bookstores that feature quick and easy recipes. You can choose from any one of them. However, it would be good to choose those cookbooks that have a nutrient counter for each recipe. This will help you keep track of what you are eating and you will be aware what nutrients are already in your diet.
Making sure that you are able to have the recommended servings of whole grains, fruits and veggies, the correct nutritional content in food and just the right amount of calories in a day is a challenge that pregnant moms face. Finding easy to cook recipes should be easy and with enough planning, good nutritious meals should be just around the corner.