Did you know that you can fry pickles? For those who don’t know, fried pickles are a delicious and tasty snack or side dish that people of all ages will be sure to love! It goes great with other dishes such as country fried chicken, burgers or pork chops.
If you love the sweet and tangy flavor of pickles, you’re going to love them fried. Give this recipe a try and it’s sure to be one of your favorites!
- Get the pickles. For cooking, dill pickles are the most ideal in this recipe. It has the right balance of tangy vinegar and sweetness. It’s also firm enough to be fried. You can also experiment with other varieties such as bread and butter pickles. If the pickles are still whole, cut it into cubes. If you prefer it sliced, get a quart sized bottle of sliced pickles. Take out the excess vinegar by allowing the pickles to drain or blot it off with a paper towel.
- Preheat your oil. Place a skillet over medium heat on the stove. Pour in three cups of fresh cooking oil. When making this recipe, never use used cooking oil or it will influence the flavor of what is being fried. Use any heart healthy oils like canola or sunflower oil. If you use lard as your frying oil, it will be more delicious.
- Prepare the dipping milk. Bring out one egg, a cup of milk and salt and pepper to taste. If you want to give your pickles a bit of a kick, prepare a teaspoon of hot sauce. Beat the ingredients together in a shallow bowl. Set it aside.
- Prepare the flour mixture. Combine three cups of flour, half teaspoon of salt and a half teaspoon of pepper. If you want to add an extra bit of crunch, you may add a tablespoon of cornmeal.
- Dip the pickles. Get a pickle and dip it first in the milk mixture. Next, transfer it into the flour mixture, making sure to coat it evenly. Give the pickle a good shake to remove any excess coating. Repeat the process until all pickles have been coated. If you put all the pickles in at the same time, it will have a tendency to clump together, so be careful.
- Start frying. When the oil is hot, you can begin frying. Carefully place the coated pickles in the oil and fry till it’s golden brown. This should only take a few minutes, especially if you sliced the pickles. Turn the pickles over with a slotted spoon.
- Remove from the heat. When the pickles look done, take them out of the oil and place on a plate with paper towels. Allow the excess oil to drain properly.
Serve this dish hot and it’s sure to be a crowd favorite. It’s quick,
easy and inexpensive to make. Fried pickles can be eaten on its own or
as a side dish to your favorite meal. You can dip the fried pickles in
ketchup, mayonnaise or your favorite dipping sauce. Try this recipe and