For a little fun in the springtime, consider adding a Bunny Rabbit Cake to your dessert plans. This simple-to-follow plan will be fun for you and the kids. You'll be sure to have a great time making and dining on this special dessert.
To make a bunny rabbit cake:
Cake mix for 2 9" round cake layers
1 tub of whipped topping
1 package of baker's coconut (approximately 2 cups)
1 small package of licorice whips (black or red)
1 handful of jelly beans or gumdrops
2 9" cake pans
Knife to spread the icing
- Follow cake mix recipe. Make two 9" round cake layers per the cake mix recipe. Any flavor cake may be used, but yellow or white cake makes the fluffiest looking bunnies. Be sure to let the cakes cool completely before icing.
- Use one cake for the face. Place the cake on the center of your serving tray.
- Cut the second cake. To make a bow tie and ears, cut the cake using a template or cut two similar sized oval ears out of the sides leaving a bow tie shape in the center.
- Position cake into a bunny face. Start with the whole cake in the center and then position the ears at the top and the bow tie under the face.
- Attach the ears and bow tie. Using a bit of whipped topping, place it between the ears and face and between the tie and the face to help hold the cake pieces together.
- Frost the cake. Cover the entire cake top and sides with the whipped topping.
- Sprinkle the coconut. Lightly coat the entire cake with the coconut shavings to create the bunny's fur texture.
- Make the face. Using the licorice whips, make the nose and whiskers for the face.
- Attach gumdrops or jellybeans to create the eyes and decorate the bow tie.
This quick and easy dessert takes only a few minutes of your time and will make your family smile. Be creative in the decorating or give the kids a chance to decorate their own special cake with little mess in the kitchen. This dessert is sure to find fans among all your guests.