A smoothie is an alternative to ice cream and milk shakes. It is usually made from fresh fruits or vegetables or a combination of both and is therefore healthier than other ice and dairy concoctions. A smoothie combines fresh fruits, ice, yogurt and in some cases, milk. It became a fad with health-conscious individuals to make them fill full and stop their craving for food that may be detrimental to their diet. Peach is one of the favorite fruits used in making smoothies. A peach has a very nice scent and flavor and contains vitamins and mineral that helps the body’s immune system to fight diseases. Peaches help in preventing eye diseases as well as antioxidants and have more fiber that is very beneficial to the body. Below are tips on how to make a delicious peach smoothie.
- Select firm and ripe fresh peaches when they are in season and use frozen ones when fresh peaches are not available. Wash and peel two small peaches or one large one, remove the pits, and cut the peach into small slices.
- Place the peach slices in a blender and add one half cup of whole fresh milk, and six ice cubes. Pulse the blender until the ice cubes are broken and the peach slices are turned to mush.
- Add one half cup of peach-flavored yogurt and blend the ingredients using a low setting for one minute.
- If you are using canned peaches you can add some of the syrup to sweeten the smoothie. Cut the peach halves into smaller pieces to make the blending easier and add the syrup in small quantities and taste the smoothie for sweetness. The syrup in which the peach halves are soaked is too sweet and adding too much may ruin the taste of the smoothie.
- Another variation of the peach smoothie is to add two to three tablespoons of honey, one half cup of fresh orange juice and replace the whole fresh milk with low fat or soy milk.
- One small banana or half of a large banana and half a cup of peach-flavored or vanilla ice cream added to the rest of the ingredients will make your peach smoothie truly delicious and extra special.
- Cut up peach slices to make one cup. You can use frozen or fresh peaches. You do not need to add ice when you are using frozen peaches.
- Place the peach slices in a blender. Add one half cup of pineapple juice, one fourth cup of vanilla flavored yogurt, one half cup of vanilla flavored soy milk and six to eight ice cubes. Blend all the ingredients until smooth and thick. You can add more ice if you want the peach smoothie to have the consistency of a milk shake.
The recipes given above are mostly for regular peach smoothies.
Substitute soy milk or low fat milk to full cream fresh milk or whole
milk for those on a diet and omit the ice cream. You may or may not
choose to add syrup, sugar or lower the amount of honey to if you are
worried about the sugar content of the smoothie. Peaches are naturally
sweet so it is for you to decide if you want to add other sources of
sweetness for the peach smoothie.