A dirty martini differs from the classic martini in that it is made using olive brine, or the juice cocktail that comes in the container of olives. When added to the martini, it makes the drink cloudy or “dirty.” This drink may be made with either gin or vodka; today, many people prefer their martinis to be made using vodka. Here's how to make a dirty martini with vodka:
Ingredients and supplies:
- Cocktail shaker
- 2 1/2 ounces vodka
- 1/2 ounce dry vermouth
- 1/2 ounce olive brine from container of olives
- Splash of single malt scotch (optional)
- Cocktail olives, for garnish
- Martini glass
- Combine ice with vodka in the shaker. Fill your cocktail shaker about three quarters full with ice cubes. To serve this classic drink, the ice cubes should be complete. Ideally, the ice cubes will not get broken during the process of making a dirty martini. Then pour two and a half ounces of vodka into the shaker, over the ice. For a better tasting dirty martini, use the highest quality vodka available to you.
- Add the olive brine. Now pour about half an ounce of olive brine (also referred to as olive juice), over the ice and vodka in the shaker. Although it is possible to purchase specialty olive juice that is made specifically to be used in dirty martinis, the juice from the jar of olives used to garnish the drink will work just as well. Now, pour in the dry vermouth over the olive brine. If you enjoy a smokier taste in your dirty martini, pour just a splash of single malt scotch into the drink Finally, add half an ounce of dry vermouth.
- Stir the mixture. Use a spoon to stir the ice, olive brine, vodka, and vermouth in the shaker. Take care not to break up the ice cubes; this is the main reason why you should not use the shaker to shake the mixture, but rather use a spoon to stir it gently so that the ice cubes remain intact.
- Strain into a glass. Strain the mixture from the cocktail shaker into the martini glass. You can also use cocktail or wine glasses for this drink if no martini glasses are available. Ideally, the glass should be chilled before this drink is made.
- Garnish and serve. Garnish your dirty martini with one or two cocktail olives threaded onto a toothpick. Serve immediately so that the drink is as cold as possible. Enjoy responsibly.
The dirty martini is a unique twist on a classic drink, and it is very easy to make. This drink has the unique flavor of olives both in the garnish and in the drink itself. Though it can also be made using gin, today the dirty martini with vodka is the more popular version.