A gourmet brunch is very impressive, and yet with a little forethought, it is actually very possible to make a delicious brunch at home. Impress your friends and family members with this delicious morning or midday meal. Here’s how to make a gourmet brunch at home:
- Determine your menu. A gourmet brunch can include a wide variety of breakfast and lunch items. Easy items to prepare include eggs (either scrambled or a quiche), hash browns, toast or French toast, pancakes, fruit salad, egg salad, pasta, and pastries. You may want to choose a theme, or consider what you already know how to make well. If your brunch is relatively early, concentrate on breakfast fare, while if it’s a little later you can focus on lunch dishes. Don’t forget beverages, including water, tea, coffee, and punch or juice. Variety is the key to a successful gourmet brunch; make sure that you have sweet and savory dishes, and those containing bread, fruit, and meat.
- Don’t forget place settings. For your formal brunch, you’ll need dishes, napkins, silverware, cups, and perhaps fresh flowers or other decorations for the table. Don’t forget a nice tablecloth. Set all of these out the day before, if possible. With so many brunch items to cook, it’s best if you don’t have to handle this while you’re making the gourmet brunch. You should also gather your serving dishes ahead of time to make sure that you have enough. Consider setting up a buffet rather than having your guests pass the dishes around the table.
- Make a shopping list. Several days before your brunch, make a shopping list, and be sure you have everything. It will be a big hassle if you realize that you’ve forgotten an ingredient as you try to make it that morning, so be sure that you have all of your recipes out and ready to go. Don’t forget any condiments that people may want, including lemon for their water and cream and sugar for coffee. It’s easy to forget about the condiments that you yourself do not use.
- Begin cooking the day before. Many of the dishes for your gourmet brunch can be made the day before, including pastries, pasta, an egg salad.
- Enjoy the day of your brunch. If possible, enlist help so that you don’t have to spend all day in the kitchen and can enjoy your guests. Some dishes can be made early on the morning of your brunch, while a few must be made just before they are served.
- Keep the foods warm. If possible, keep food warm in your oven or in a chafing dish or crock pot so that your guests may have seconds.
Making a gourmet brunch requires plenty of effort and organization, but it will impress all of your guests. Gourmet brunches can be assembled from a wide variety of different recipes; if you need to, you can even purchase some of the items, like muffins, pre-made to save time in the kitchen. Remember that presentation is very important for your gourmet brunch; even if the pastries are store-bought, serve them on fancy platters.