No matter what type of pie you'd like to make – apple pie, cherry pie, and coconut cream pie may easily come to mind – you'd have to make the foundation of it all, which is the crust. And some newbies at baking may imagine that making the crust would be one of the most complicated parts of the baking process. However, this need not be true! And that's where the graham cracker pie crust comes in. It's so easy and hassle-free to make, that it can be made as an after-school or summer kitchen project with the kids. It's also much better-tasting than the ordinary dough pie crust, since this Graham cracker kind has a sweeter flavor and more sumptuous texture. So if you'd like to know how to make graham cracker pie crust, read on:
- Prepare the ingredients and materials. You need the following ingredients: 6 tablespoons of melted butter, 24 pieces graham crackers, 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon or nutmeg (optional). You also need a small saucepan, a plastic bag, a rolling pin, a pie plate, and an oven (optional, depending on what type of pie you'll be making).
- Prepare the graham crackers. Place the Graham crackers in the plastic bag, and using the rolling pin, crush it into crumbs. If you find that it's too hard to crush all 24 all at once, you can do it in smaller batches. You could also use a food processor or a blender instead of an old-fashioned rolling pin - this would definitely cut down your work time, plus the crumbs would be smaller and finer. Know also that you can opt to buy crushed graham crackers. Transfer about 1 1/2 cups of the crumbs into a bowl; mix in the sugar, melted butter, and about 1/8 cup water, and stir. Make sure to blend together well.
- Put the mixture into a pie pan. Grease a pie pan, then press the graham cracker mixture into it; as much as possible, it should be even all around (about 1/3 cm thick). If you're having difficulty pressing in the graham cracker mixture, you could add in a little bit of water.
- Prepare the crust. You could prepare the crust one or two ways: First, you could bake the crust in an oven for eight to ten minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190.5 degrees Celsius), checking to see if the crust is already lightly browned. Second, you could refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes. This second option is appropriate if you are preparing a "no-bake" pie recipe (such as a refrigerator cake).
- Prepare the filling. Preparing the pie filling would obviously depend on what type of pie you are making. If you were making apple pie, for example, one very easy recipe goes like this: Combine six cups of peeled and sliced apples, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, and spread it evenly on the crust that you have prepared (already baked). Combine the following ingredients in another bowl to make the topping: 3/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup applesauce. Make sure that you blend these ingredients well. Sprinkle the topping over the apple mixture, and then bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176 degrees Celsius) for about 45 minutes.
There you have it! Now you know how to make a graham cracker pie crust that's as easy to do as pie. Good luck!