High protein shakes are a great tasting way to get more protein into your daily diet. Protein is especially important if you are exercising and trying to build muscle. Though many foods, including meat and nuts, have protein, high protein milkshakes and smoothies are an easy way to get lots of protein into your diet. You can change up the flavors according to your tastes and preferences. Here's how to make a high protein shake:
Ingredients and supplies:
- Ice cubes
- 1 cup milk
- Whey protein powder
- Fresh or frozen fruit
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter (optional)
- Choose your protein. You can vary the ingredients according to your tastes, as long as the shake includes protein powder. Most shakes include either 1 or 2 scoops of protein powder; you can choose vanilla, chocolate, or another flavor. Whey protein dissolves best, but other protein, including soy protein, can also be used.
- Choose your fruit. Nearly any fruit combination you can imagine can be used in a high protein shake. Bananas are popular because of their potassium and fiber; berries also go well in a protein shake. If the fruit is frozen, you may need less ice.
- Choose your milk. Any kind of milk can also be used; use whole milk if you're trying to gain weight, skim milk if you're watching your weight, or soy, rice, or almond milk if you can't drink milk. Fruit juice can also be used as a replacement for milk as your base liquid. You can use natural yogurt instead of milk as your base to make a thicker shake, but make sure to use at least some liquid to dissolve the protein powder.
- Choose your other ingredients. A tablespoon of peanut butter adds more protein and an interesting taste, but it is optional. Honey and fruit juice can also be used to sweeten the shake. Honey is better to use than sugar because it has nutrients, including amino acids and zinc.
- Blend the high protein shake. First, put 3 to 6 ice cubes in the blender. Then pour the milk over the ice. Then add the protein powder, fruits, and other ingredients. For a thinner shake, add more liquid ingredients. Blend on high for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the ingredients have fully combined.
High protein shakes make a great meal replacement or post-workout protein supplement. These natural drinks contain many healthy ingredients. High protein shakes also make a great replacement for breakfast.