Meat loaf is a well-loved dish. When you were growing up, it probably was one of the dishes Mom made and was part of your childhood favorite meal list. Over the years, meat loaf variations have grown and even included some ingredients that you never thought was possible for a meat loaf. One meat loaf variation that you can try is hunter's meat loaf. It is pretty simple to do and requires the most basic meat loaf ingredients. Here’s how you can make a hunter's meat loaf.
- Gather your ingredients. For this meat loaf variation, you will need one pound ground venison, ½ pound ground pork, one cup milk, one cup bread crumbs, one egg, ¼ cup chopped onion, 1 ½ teaspoon salt, two garlic cloves, and ¼ cup ketchup. For a more flavorful meat loaf, consider adding ¼ teaspoon sage, ¼ teaspoon celery, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and two cups wine.
- Mix your ingredients. You need to start by first beating the egg. Then add the ground venison and pork. Put all the other ingredients excluding the milk and breadcrumbs. Then start to mix the ingredients using your hands. Do this while you preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Mix the milk and breadcrumbs. In a separate bowl, put the milk and breadcrumbs and mix. Stir them until the consistency becomes creamy. Add this mixture to the rest of the ingredients and start to mix with your hands again. Make sure all the ingredients blend well together. If you prefer, you can also try to use a fork in mixing.
- Shape the meat loaf. Form the meat loaf in the usual rectangle shape. Or if you choose, you can also have it round. Then, place the meat loaf in a baking pan greased with butter. Bake it for one hour. You can apply ketchup to your meat loaf while it is baking. Just remember to be very careful.
- Bring the meat loaf out. Your hunters meat loaf should be ready after an hour. You know it is ready if it turns into reddish brown and the juice begins to come out. Allow it to sit for a few minutes in the oven before getting it out.
- Serve. Transfer the meat loaf into a large platter and slice half of it into thin pieces. Serve the meat loaf while hot. You can garnish it with grated cheddar cheese, celery, crushed crackers, red bell pepper, canned mushrooms, or carrots. You can also serve it with baked potato.
There are lots of alternatives for the hunter's meat loaf ingredients. For example, instead of breadcrumbs, you can use unsweetened cereal. Just make sure to put the cereal into the food processor to make fine crumbs. French bread can also be a good substitute. Garlic cloves, on the other hand, can be replaced with dry mustard. Aside from this, you can also try to brush your meat loaf with barbeque sauce instead of ketchup. You have many options really, so try to experiment and make use of other flavorful ingredients.