Jello shots are popular drinks at frat parties and summer bar-b-ques. These drinks won't require much clean up and are easy to make. Consider adding some creativity and youthful fun to your next event by serving a few flavors of the Jello shot. Follow these steps and you can make Jello shots at home.
- 1 package of Jello or gelatin mix
- Boiling water
- Cold water
- 10 ounces of Vodka
- Large mixing bowl
- Large mixing spoon
- Serving tray
- Package of small paper cups
- Cooking spray - no flavor
- Place vodka in freezer. While vodka is still in the bottle, place the bottle in the freezer. This will allow the vodka to get cold while you are preparing the rest of the mix. Colder vodka makes better and more potent Jello shots.
- Prepare cups. One mix of Jello should make about 20 shots. Separate the cups and place them onto the tray. Spray cups lightly with cooking spray. This will keep the Jello from sticking to the cups and make eating the shots easier.
- Pour Jello mix into bowl. Make sure the bowl is clean and dry before you begin the recipe.
- Add boiling water. Follow the instructions on the package for the amount of water. Stir the mix as you pour in the water and continue to stir for about one minute to mix well. Once mixed, let the Jello sit for one to two minutes.
- Add the cold water and alcohol. Stir in the cold water and vodka. If using the instructions on the back of the Jello package and it states 16 ounces of cold water, then use 6 ounces of water with the 10 ounces of vodka.
- Pour the mix into the paper cups. Fill near the rim but not all the way full. Keep an even amount in all the cups if you can.
- Place tray of cups into the refrigerator. The Jello will need at least two hours to stiffen and set. Allow plenty of time before your event to make sure the Jello shots form fully and let the alcohol cool as well.
- Remove from refrigerator and serve. Your friends will love the shots and the combination of alcohol and sweet Jello taste. Be prepared with a trash bucket so you don't find tiny paper cups all over your house the next morning.
With these steps you can make Jello shots with any flavor of Jello. Grape, cherry and strawberry are popular flavors. You can also get creative in your flavor making by using different types of alcohol and the basics of your favorite drinks. Consider orange Jello and champagne for a mimosa flavor or lime Jello with tequila and triple sec for a margarita flavored shot.