Milkshakes are simply delicious. You don’t have to be a little kid to enjoy a tall glass of milkshake. The young and the young-at-heart enjoy them alike. But what if money is tight and you simply have to have your milkshake? There’s no need to go out of the house. You can make your own poor man’s milkshake the old fashioned way.
Poor man’s milkshake
This first recipe assumes that you don’t have a blender at home. So instead of a blender, you will use a hammer, a thick plastic bag and a glass jar with a tight lid. Make sure the jar and the plastic bag are clean. Don’t forget wipe down the hammer before using it. Milk, sugar and ice cubes will make up your poor man’s milkshake.
Here are the steps to your poor man’s milkshake:
- Crush the ice cubes. Use about 10 ice cubes. Place these in the plastic bag. With the hammer, crush the ice cubes to little pieces. Place the crushed ice in the clean jar.
- Add the other ingredients. Place about a cup of milk into the jar. There should be space left in the jar because you will be shaking the milk mixture later on. Make sure to use chilled milk. Otherwise the crushed ice will melt fast. You can also chill the glass jar before use to keep the milkshake cold. Add sugar to the milk and crushed ice. How much? According to your taste. You can even use artificial sweetener for fewer calories.
- Shake and enjoy. Cover the jar tightly with the lid. Shake the jar until you have a well blended milkshake. Drink it from the jar or transfer to a chilled glass. Use a drinking straw if you wish.
Not-so-poor man’s milkshake
Most homes have blenders in their kitchens. Some blenders even function as ice crushers.
- Use the blender to crush ice cubes so you don’t have to bring out the hammer.
- Place the crushed ice in a tall glass.
- Add the milk and the sugar to the ice cubes.
- Add a few scoops of vanilla ice cream if you have some in the freezer.
- Blend the mixture well.
- Adjust the taste. You may need more sugar or more milk depending on your taste buds.
- Optional: If you have some chocolate syrup in the refrigerator, you can also add this to the mix for your not-so-poor man’s milkshake.
You can create different kinds of poor man’s milkshake. Below are some ideas but also feel free to experiment on your own.
- Mocha shake – add a tablespoon of instant coffee diluted in 2 tablespoons milk
- Choco-Banana shake – use chocolate milk and one mashed (pureed) banana
- Peanut butter-choco shake – use chocolate milk and one to two tablespoons of creamy peanut butter
- Peanut butter-banana shake – mix one ripe mashed banana and two tablespoons of creamy peanut butter into the milk; omit the sugar because the banana and the peanut butter are both sweet
Note: You can use different types of milk for your poor-man’s milk
shake. It really depends on what’s available and whether you are
allergic to cow’s milk or would like your milkshake with fewer calories.
Necessity is the mother of invention. If you don’t have a blender or an
ice crusher but would love to make a milkshake at home, don’t fret. With
a hammer, a plastic bag and a jar, you can turn milk, sugar and ice
into a tall glass of milkshake.