Pizza is a one of the easiest meals to make, once you know how to make your own pizza dough. With dough prepared, all you need is to add in some cheese, tomato sauce, and the toppings of your choice. Pizza is a very versatile dish that can handle a wide variety of toppings, which makes it even more popular. Here’s how to make your quick pizza dough.
- Prepare the ingredients. For a twelve inch pizza dough, you will need two packs of dry yeast, four cups of sifted flour, a teaspoon of salt, olive oil or other types of vegetable oil, one and one quarter cup of water, and a baking sheet or pizza pan. If you will use the pizza dough immediately, prepare other ingredients as well, such as mushrooms, homemade tomato sauce, grated cheese, bell peppers, and ground meat.
- Add yeast. Take the two packs of yeast and sprinkle these onto a medium sized bowl. Add on the warm liquid, and mix until the yeast has fully dissolved into the water. Yeast is a type of healthy germ that is used to make dough rise. Wait for several minutes for the warm water to activate the yeast that has been stirred into the liquid.
- Add the flour. Next, take two cups of flour and mix it into the bowl of water and yeast with a spoon. Do this until the flour has fully dissolved, before adding another two cups of flour. Again, blend with a spoon. Eventually, the mixture should thicken until the spoon will not be able to beat the dough.
- Knead the dough. Once the dough is stiff enough, sprinkle some flour on the kitchen table and knead the dough. To knead the dough for pizza, compress the dough by using the heel of your hands. Use enough pressure to move the dough outwards, away from you. Once it has flattened out, roll the dough and fold it again. Repeat this until the dough becomes smooth. You will also notice that the texture becomes shiny. Generally, ten to fifteen minutes of kneading should be done to get the correct texture for your dough. You will know that the kneading is complete by pressing the surface of the dough with your fingers. The hole should not rise up.
- Let rise. The next step is to allow the dough to rise. The yeast will enlarge the dough to twice its size. Do this by placing the dough in a plastic covered bowl. The bowl should be near a warm area such as direct sunlight or near an oven. After forty five minutes, the dough will be ready.
- Rolling. Roll the dough into a round pizza shape that is twelve inches in diameter. You can make the pizza thinner or thicker by adding more or less dough. Add the ingredients and bake in an oven that has been preheated to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
You can use the pizza dough immediately. However, you can also store the dough after it rises, by placing it in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator to deactivate the yeast. Once you know how to make your own quick pizza dough, preparing pizza whenever you want is easy.