Seafood lasagna is an Italian dish that is hearty and healthy. It takes some time to make because of the different ingredients that have to be prepared, but it’s sure to be well received at any gathering or dinner table.
If you love seafood, pasta and cheese, here’s how to make a simple yet delicious seafood lasagna.
- Make the pasta. Fill a wide shallow pot with water and set on high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of salt. When it comes to a roiling boil, add the lasagna noodles and cook them according to package directions, usually between eight to 10 minutes. Remove the pasta from the water as soon as it is al dente and allow it to drain. Set the noodles aside.
- Prepare the tomato sauce. In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté two cloves of crushed garlic, a small minced onion with two tablespoons of butter and a teaspoon of olive oil. Add a cup of coarsely chopped shrimp and a cup of chopped crab legs. Reduce the heat to low and add ¼ cup of milk and an 8-ounce package of cream cheese and a cup of cottage cheese. Add some salt and pepper.
- Make the white sauce. In a medium-size pot over medium-low heat, melt ¼ cup butter. Do not allow the butter to brown. Add 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and mix well with a spatula or wooden spoon. Mix in half a cup of fresh whole milk, one can of Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup, a container of ricotta cheese, ¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese and ¼ of cheddar cheese. Sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste. Stir constantly to avoid clumping and sticking at the bottom, and then add one egg. Set aside when done.
- Assemble the lasagna. On a rectangular glass baking sheet, put some of the white sauce at the bottom. Place three lasagna noodles to make the first layer. Put some of the seafood sauce over the pasta. Cover the seafood sauce with the white sauce. Top it off with some grated mozzarella cheese and a bit of grated Parmesan cheese. Repeat the process until you have used up all the pasta. This recipe will make about four layers of pasta, seafood and cream sauce. Pour the remaining white sauce at the topmost layer of the pasta dish. Finish off with some more Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. You may add some chopped parsley to garnish the dish.
- Bake in the oven. Cover the dish with a sheet of foil and bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 35 minutes. Remove the foil at the last ten minutes of cooking time to brown the cheese on top. Take the dish out of the oven when done and allow to rest before serving.
Doesn’t seafood lasagna sound just absolutely delicious? Serve this mouth-watering dish with some toasted garlic bread. It’s also best enjoyed with a glass of white wine. Bon appetit!