A vegetable platter is a simple dish you can serve to your weight-conscious friends. It is also a good addition to barbecue parties, a great side dish for holiday meals, an appetizer or even snack. Catering services also serve vegetable platters. You can easily purchase a pre-made vegetable platter from the grocery store but if you want to impress your friends, it's simple to make your own vegetable platter.
Here are some tips on how you can make your own vegetable platter:
- Vegetables. If you are serving a vegetable platter to your friends or relatives, take into consideration the types of vegetables that they will like. You wouldn't want your platter to be untouched. Another thing to consider is the color of the vegetables. While most vegetables are green, you could choose other vegetables, such as carrots, red pepper, capsicum and more. The colors must be bright and not dull. Choose vegetables that are crisp and fresh.
- Platter. Choose a platter that will match the occasion. You can use a plain and elegant platter for intimate dinner parties and a colored platter during the holidays. You can also use glass platters. Choose a platter that is just right for the amount of vegetables that you are going to serve. You wouldn't want to have a platter that is too small and crowded or a platter that is too big.
- Preparation. Wash the vegetables very well and wipe them dry with a clean cloth. Slice the vegetables in such a way that they all turn out to be as close as possible to the same size. Arrange the vegetables on the platter in an organized manner and separate the green vegetables from one another by using the other vegetables that are not green. If you know that a lot of your guests are into vegetables, it is advisable to have an extra batch of vegetables as back up in case you run out of the vegetables on your platter.
- Dips. You can add different flavored dips to match your vegetables to make your platter more appetizing. Some of the dips that you can use are ranch dressing, pepper mayo, cheese and honey mustard. If you want to incorporate the vegetables in your dip, you can make dips, such as herb vegetable mix, creamy red pepper dip or a zucchini dip. You can put the dips in the middle of the platter and arrange the vegetables around it. If you do not want to make your own dips, you can just buy some from the grocery store and transfer them into your own bowl.
- Variation. If you are serving this vegetable platter during a barbecue party, you can grill the vegetables first to have a smoky taste. The vegetables can be a great side dish with your grilled steak and mashed potatoes. You can also substitute vegetables for fruits for a desert dish.
These are some of the helpful tips that you can use when you make your own vegetable platter. This is an easy dish to make as an addition to your main course. You can also have different varieties and change your style every time you serve it. Experiment with different vegetables and dips.