Amaretto is an Italian liquor. Amaretto translates to ‘slightly bitter’. Amaretto is indeed a bitter drink, but the bitterness that you will taste is not at all unpleasant. You can easily purchase amaretto from a liquor store. However, you can also make your own amaretto at home. There are a lot of variations of amaretto that you can make.
Here are the steps on how you can make your own homemade amaretto:
- Gather ingredients. The ingredients that you will need for making amaretto are white sugar, brown sugar, water, vodka, almond extract and vanilla extract. You can get these ingredients from the supermarket and the liquor store.
- Measure the ingredients. Measure the ingredients that you will need for making the amaretto. You need to use 1 ½ cups each of white sugar and brown sugar, 2 cups of water, 4 cups of vodka, 1/3 cup almond extract and 5 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
- Making the amaretto. Get a small cooking pan. Pour the water in the pan and put in the white and brown sugar. Cook this mixture until all the sugar has been dissolved in the water. Stir occasionally to help dissolve the sugar. When the sugar has dissolved, allow the mixture to cool. This will take about 15 minutes. When it is already cool, you can add the vodka, almond extract and vanilla extract.
These are the easy steps on how you can make your homemade amaretto. You can put it in a bottle and place it in a freezer or you can also drink it with ice. This is also a great gift idea for your friends during special occasions. All you need to do is to buy a decorative bottle that you can use.
There are other versions of amaretto that you can make with the amaretto that you already prepared. Here are a few of the other amaretto drinks that you can make at home:
- Amaretto Sour. For the amaretto sour, you will need lemon juice or lime juice. To make this drink, mix one part amaretto and two parts lemon or lime juice. Mix these two together and pour in a glass. You can garnish the drink with a cherry or a slice of orange.
- Grandfather Amaretto (Classic Amaretto). For the classic amaretto, you will need two parts scotch and one part amaretto. Mix the two together and pour in a glass with ice.
- Amaretto and cream. For this drink, you will need equal parts of cream and amaretto. Pour the mixture in a glass with ice. This is a popular choice among the ladies.
These are some of the other drinks that you can create with your homemade amaretto. There are also other food recipes that you can do with amaretto. You can use this liquor for desserts, such as cakes and ice cream. This is a great substitute for almond extract. You can find dessert recipes where you can use the homemade amaretto by searching online.