3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, melted (do not substitute margarine)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Dash of salt
5-6 large apples (if available, Jonathans give a great result; also good are Golden Delicious, Rome Beauty, Mcintosh)
1 9-inch unbaked pie shell (homemade preferred, but I have also used Pillsbury refrigerated crusts with good results)
- Make sure your oven rack is set to the center oven position and preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Place a cookie sheet on the bottom rack to catch any drips that occur as the pie bakes. Let the cookie sheet preheat with the oven.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and cinnamon for the crumb topping. Break up any large lumps of brown sugar as you mix. Add the melted butter and stir thoroughly. Don't worry if the mixture looks a bit like sludge at this point! Place mixture in the refrigerator while you prepare the apple filling. This will cause the topping ingredients to solidify so that you can break the mixture up into crumbs later.
- In a large bowl, mix together the granulated sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt for the apple filling. Peel and core the apples and cut into thin slices. Toss the slices in the flour and sugar mixture as you work. When all of the apples are peeled, sliced, and coated, turn the filling mixture into the prepared pie shell.
- Remove the crumb topping from the refrigerator and break into pea-sized (or smaller) crumbs. Sprinkle the topping generously but evenly over the top of the pie.
- Using 1-inch-wide strips of aluminum foil, with the shinier side out, loosely cover the exposed fluted edge of your pie crust to prevent overbrowning.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the strips protecting the crust and instead, take a sheet of aluminum foil and lay it loosely, shiny side down, over the entire surface of the pie. This will prevent the tips of the crumb topping from burning. Bake for about 30-35 minutes more.
- Cool. Serve plain or warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy the compliments!