Banoffee pie is an unusual dessert combining the flavors of bananas, toffee, and coffee. This relatively new pie originates from England and is already quite popular, even though it requires a relatively long cooking time. Once the milk is done cooking, it's actually a very easy pie to assemble. Here's how to make banoffee pie:
Ingredients and supplies:
- 1 (16oz) can of condensed milk
3/4 pint whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pre-cooked pie shell and pie pan
- 1 1/2 lbs bananas
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee or cocoa powder, for garnish
- Chocolate shavings (optional, for ganish)
- Large saucepan
- Wire whisk
- Prepare the bananas. Before making banoffee pie, peel and slice the bananas.
- Cook the condensed milk. In a large saucepan, boil water. Then immerse the unopened can of condensed milk in the boiling water. Boil for 3 hours, and then remove from the boiling water using tongs. Allow to cool completely before you attempt to open it.
- Prepare the filling. Whip the cream with the sugar and coffee until the mixture becomes thick and smooth. Do not overmix, or the pie filling will become too stiff.
- Assemble the pie. The bananas can go into the pie pan as the first layer over the pie shell, or as the top layer over the rest of the ingredients. To assemble the pie, open the condensed milk can and spread the contents onto the pie shell. Because of the boiling process, the condensed milk should be caramelized and have a golden hue. It will have a delicious toffee flavor. Next, spoon on the cream mixture. For a fancier pie, use a piping bag to pipe on the cream mixture instead of simply spooning it on over the condensed milk. Finally, sprinkle the pie with coffee powder or cocoa as a garnish. You can also use grated chocolate for a fancier touch.
- Enjoy! Refrigerate the pie for at least 20 minutes before serving to allow time for the layers to set. Banoffee pie is usually served after dinner, with coffee. Simply slice and serve; this creamy pie does not need whipped cream or other toppings.
To vary the flavor of your banoffee pie, use a graham cracker crust instead of a regular pie crust for a sweeter taste. Banoffee pie is a deliciously creamy and sweet pie that is sure to please adults and children alike. Its indulgent taste and unique blend of flavors are not found in many desserts. Although it does take some time to make, the actual steps are quite easy.