Beer is used in many different dishes. In braised beef brisket particularly, it adds a strong flavor, giving the dish a delicious, edgy taste. Braising beef brisket in beer is a pretty manageable task. Even if your cooking skills are average, you will still find this recipe enjoyable to do. Here’s your guide.
- Prepare your ingredients. There are lots of ingredients you need to prepare for the beer braised beef brisket. You need:
- two pounds of beef brisket
- 48 ounces of beer (four 12-oz bottles of beer)
- four slices of bacon
- kosher salt
- three onions
- six potatoes
- six carrots
- one rutabaga
- ten garlic cloves
- ½ cup of parsley
- one sprig of fresh thyme
- one bay leaf
- two tablespoons of butter
- two tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- Cook the bacon strips. First, chop the bacon strips into small bits. Then, place in a Dutch oven to cook. Use medium heat. After cooking, remove all the bacon bits and strain the bacon grease. Set aside the bacon bits.
- Prepare the brisket. Make sure that the brisket is patted dry. Then, massage it with pepper and salt. Put in the Dutch oven and cook using medium heat. After a few minutes or when the brisket is already brown, take the brisket and plate after.
- Sauté the onions. Put the onions in the Dutch oven and sauté until they turn golden brown. Then, gradually pour 12 ounces of beer (or one bottle of beer). Let it simmer.
- Braise the beef brisket. Put the brisket again in the Dutch oven. Add the remaining beer and the bacon bits. Set the burner on medium heat, and allow the brisket to boil. Then, put the Dutch oven into the oven. Braise the beef brisket in beer for two hours.
- Add the vegetables. Get the Dutch oven from the oven and toss the sliced carrots, potatoes, and rutabaga into it. Peel and mince the garlic cloves and add them in. Cut the bay leaf into half and toss in the Dutch oven. Add the thyme after. Cover the Dutch oven and braise the beef brisket for 45 more minutes. After this, get the brisket out of the Dutch oven and put in a plate. Spread the vegetables around it, except for the bay leaf and thyme.
- Make the sauce. Transfer the braise sauce into a saucepan. Then, let it simmer. Add a mixture of flour and butter. Stir for three minutes. Then, add pepper and salt. Stir again. The sauce should have a thick texture by this time.
- Serve the beer braised beef brisket. Slice the braised beef and pour the sauce onto it. Arrange the vegetables, and top the brisket with chopped parsley. This recipe can make six to eight servings. You can eat the beer braised beef brisket with rice, salad, or noodles.
This is just one beer braised beef brisket recipe. There are a lot of
other variations you can try. If you have a clay pot, you can also try
to cook the brisket beef the traditional way.