The beef stroganoff sauce should be prepared while the beef strips are being cooked. It is the sauce that gives this dish its flavors, so you want to cook the sauce perfectly. But if it doesn’t come out right, don’t worry; you will most likely still enjoy the dish, but not as much as you would have if the sauce is done appetizingly good. So now, learn how to make the beef stroganoff sauce by reading the instructions below.
- Buy quality ingredients. For the tastiest beef stroganoff sauce, make sure to have the best ingredients. You don’t necessarily have to buy the most expensive brands, but at least try to get the brands that will lend the most luscious taste. For the sauce, you will need two tablespoons of butter, two tablespoons of flour, one tablespoons of Dijon mustard, two tablespoons of sour cream, ¼ pint heavy cream, one cup of beef broth, six ounces of sliced mushrooms, ¼ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
- Make the base sauce. In a saucepan, cook the butter and flour. Mix well. This mixture will get a little thick in texture. Add the beef broth after. Stir again. Then, add the sliced mushrooms. Leave for a few minutes and allow the base sauce to boil.
- Add the sour cream and heavy cream. You need to first pour the sour cream into the pan. Stir well until the sour cream mixes with the base sauce. Then, add in the heavy cream. Again, stir well.
- Add the Dijon mustard. Mix the Dijon mustard with the rest of the ingredients. Stir until all ingredients blend well together. Then, add pepper and salt. Again, mix the sauce. You need to achieve a creamy, smooth texture. But if the sauce turns out very creamy for your preference, add a very small amount of water. Stir for a few more minutes, then remove the sauce from heat.
- Add the beef. The beef should be cooked by the time you finish preparing the sauce. Put the beef into the creamy sauce and serve hot. Put the beef stroganoff on top of rice, pasta, or egg noodles. Then, garnish with onions.
- Try beef stroganoff sauce variations. What’s nice about beef stroganoff is that it has now lots of variations that are equally easy to prepare. One variation makes use of yogurt in place of sour cream. There’s also one variation that uses tomato paste or ketchup. Preparation of these sauces are basically the same, although you can also try to add other ingredients like nutmeg, shallots, and tarragon.
This sauce is good for one to 1 ½ pounds of beef sirloin. If you are
making for a large group, adjust the amounts of ingredients. You don’t
have to strictly measure the ingredients, because the amounts to use
generally depend on the taste you are going for. You have as much leeway
as you want for the taste, so feel free to increase or reduce the
amounts of ingredients according to your taste preference.