Having chex mix is an easy way to have readymade snacks available whenever there is a surprise visitor in your home. It stores well and very easy to prepare. The article below will help you make your own chex mix. There are also other types of mixes that you can play around with as easy appetizers. You can try flavored popcorn, different types of chips, a mix of caramel covered nuts, dried fruits and the like. Having small batches ready in your pantry takes away minutes of stress and panicking when you know there is a guest coming over for a visit.
Materials that you will need:
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
6 tablespoons butter
¾ teaspoon garlic powder
1 ½ teaspoon rock salt
½ teaspoon onion powder
Rice Chex cereal, 3 cups
Corn chex cereal, 3 cups
Pretzels, 1 cup
Mixed nuts, 1 cup (Brazilian, macadamia, almonds, walnuts)
Roasting pan or sheet
- Preheating your oven. The first step is to preheat your oven to around 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melting your butter. While heating your oven, melt your butter in a roasting pan. Make sure you use good quality butter since cheap butter, when melted or heated through, does not give the typical sweet creaminess that good quality butter lends to your dishes. You can do this by placing your roasting pan inside the oven while you are preheating. After the butter has melted you can take it out of the oven and you can add the other ingredients.
- Baking the ingredients. Place all of the other ingredients in the pan, mix it well and toss it inside the oven. Bake your creation for around one hour. Take out the mixture every 15 minutes and stir your mixture occasionally.
- Cooling your chex mix. After one hour, take out the pan and cool the contents on several layers of paper towels.
- Keeping your mix in an air tight container. Once your mixture is completely cooled, get an airtight container. Place your mixture in this container. It is best to have it stored in multiple smaller containers so that it is easy to take out a batch when you need to serve it to guests.
- Mixing it up. You can also try this with popcorn instead of chex mix. Freshly popped popcorn can be mixed with caramel syrup. You can also bake it like how you did with the chex mix. You can also make nuts and m&m’s as an additive to your chex mix. Essentially you can add anything that you like – different types of nuts, chips and other cereal types like oats.
Serve the chex mix in a shallow container. Have pieces of tissue
available since it can be quite messy. Good drinks to pair with chex mix
are a cold bottle of beer or chilled glass of wine. You can also toast
your chex mix just before serving them for a minute or two so that you
will awaken up the flavors that you have mixed. Try placing some caramel
powder, cinnamon or nutmeg as well.