After a huge dinner or get together, there usually are a lot of leftovers. You can of course refrigerate it and reheat the next day, but you can only eat so much of the same dish every day. Instead of throwing it or giving everything to your dog, why not “recycle” the food and use the leftovers to create a new dish? Aside from saving money, your family would not even know that you are serving them leftovers.
One great recipe you can try is chicken soup. It’s perfect as an appetizer during a cold winter night. This can be done using leftover chicken carcass or roasted chicken.
To know how to make a chicken soup from leftover chicken, read the recipe below.
- Materials you will need:
- Leftover chicken
- 1 can of corn soup
- 1/2 can of green peas
- 1/2 can of corn kernel
- Baby carrots
- 1 teaspoon of ground thyme
- 2 pieces of bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of marjoram
- Fresh parsley
- Noodles or rice
- Prepare your ingredients. The ingredients for this recipe are easy to find. Try to search your kitchen first before going on a trip to the grocery. The ingredients are also not expensive so this should not cause any worry.
- Remove the bones and skins from the chicken. As you will be preparing a soup, it is best that you remove all of the chicken bones and skin from the leftovers. Chop the meat into finer pieces.
- Get a large stockpot. In a large stockpot, place the leftover chicken pieces. Pour in cold water. Place enough water to submerge all the chicken pieces. Let the water boil. Add two pieces of bay leaves, and then the marjoram and thyme. Mix thoroughly.
- Peel the carrots. Get a vegetable peeler and peel the baby carrots. Dice it to about ½ inch.
- Add the flavoring. In the stockpot, add 1 ½ teaspoon of seasoned salt. Drop the carrots as well. Let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the carrots are almost cooked. Add the finely chopped parsley and green peas. You can also add dices potatoes. If you want to add potatoes, peel and slice it about ½ an inch. Place them in the pot at the same time as the carrots.
- Open the can of corn kernels and drain the liquid. Add the kernels into the stockpot. Cook the soup for another 10 minutes then serve. You can also add broth for added flavor.
You can serve the soup as is with crackers on the side. But if you want a heavier dish, you can add ½ cup of noodles or ½ cup of rice in the soup below. Keep it under medium heat until the noodles or the rice is cooked.
This is a great recipe to try. It’s easy to prepare and the ingredients are all accessible and inexpensive. For sure, you will not have any more leftovers from this dish. Kids and adults alike will enjoy this sumptuous dish.