Before you start making this dish, you need to know that no duck is harmed when making a Chinese duck sauce. Yes, it can be confusing. But a Chinese duck sauce is actually the same as the traditional sauce used on Peking duck. When eating a Peking duck roll in America, it is the same sauce spread on the pita before adding the Peking duck and vegetables. In China, however, they use fermented sweet beans sauce. This sauce can be compared to Hoi sin, but it is lighter and has a more fruity taste.
Aside from Peking duck, the popular sauce is also great for spring rolls and Chinese dumplings.
To know how you can make a Chine duck sauce at home, read the recipe below.
- Materials you will need:
- 1 lb. ripe apricots
- 1 lb. ripe plums
- ¾ cup of water
- 1 ¼ cup of cider vinegar
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- ½ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon peel, grated
- 1 tablespoon of fresh orange peel, grated
- 1 small onion
- ¼ cup peeled ginger
- 1 serrano chili, seeded
- 2 small cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of mustard seed, toasted
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Get started. First off, wash and drain the fruits and vegetables that you will use for this recipe. Get the ripe plums and ripe apricots. Cut them in half and pit them separately. Set aside. Next, get the ginger, onion, and garlic and chop them
- In a large saucepan, combine the apricot, plums, 1 ¼ cup of vinegar, and ¾ cup of water. Set the stove on medium heat and cook the mixture for 5 minutes. Stir frequently. After 5 minutes, reduce the heat and continue to cook for another 15 minutes. Do not cover the pan.
- Get a separate pan. Combine 1 cup of vinegar, brown sugar, and the freshly squeezed lemon juice. Put to boil for 10 minutes.
- Combine the two mixtures. Pour the sugar and lemon mixture into the plum and apricot pan. Add the lemon and orange peel, chopped onion, garlic, seeded chili, salt, mustard seed and cinnamon. Let it simmer over low heat for an hour. Stir the mixture occasionally. After some time, you will notice that the sauce will take on a dark golden brown color.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and puree the mixture. Let the sauce cool down for 15 minutes. Get a blender and puree the mixture. Make sure you get a smooth consistency.
- Pour the sauce back into the pan. Heat the pot over low heat and cook the sauce until it gets thick.
- Let the sauce completely cool down at room temperature before you transfer it to a clean jar with lid. Keep the lid loose though. Then, when the sauce is cool enough, tighten the lid and store the jar in dark area for at least 2 weeks.
Once you open the jar for use, return the cover and refrigerate. This can still be consumed for up to a month.
There are so many uses for this sauce, so go on and experiment.