A more appetizing name would be Braised Chinese Pig Pork Feet Trotters Stew. It’s a mouthful, sure, but it basically means the same dish but with a name as delicious sounding as it is tasty.
2 lbs pig’s feet
2 soy bean thread
2-4 oz shiitake mushroom
6 cloves of garlic
2 oz ginger (sliced thick)
4 pcs lime leaf
3 stalks green onion
1 tbsp salt
1 cube fermented tofu
2 oz brown sugar
1 ½ tbsp Zho hou sauce
1 ½ tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 ½ tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp Chinese cooking wine
- Precook the hoof. You want your pig’s feet to be nice and tender. Put on a large pot on the stove and boil water in it. When the water boils, put in 2 thick slices of ginger and salt. Replace the lid and bring to a simmer. Keep it closed and simmering for about an hour and a half.
- Prep the mushroom. Make sure you get dried shiitake because you will get a better aroma out of dried mushrooms than fresh ones. Soak for 10-15 minutes and use the water for braising later.
- Prep the soybean threads. Use a cup of cooking oil and deep fry the soybean threads. Cut them up in halves and fry them very fast. If you fry them too long, they become tough. Take 2 seconds to fry the pieces or until bubbles form on it. After frying, soak them in water for 15 minutes.
- Drain and debone. Remember how you precooked the pig’s feet in Step 1? Drain the water, and then rinse the feet in cold water. Cut out the main bone from each piece. Turn it over then cut it down the middle.
- Make the seasoning. In a small bowl, put in the salt, brown sugar, oyster sauce, and dark soy sauce. Next, add the fermented tofu cube and use a fork and mash them, it doesn’t need to be finely mashed. Mix well.
- Stir fry spices. In high heat, put on the wok and put in 2-3 tbsp cooking oil. Put in the ginger slices, garlic cloves, the lime leaves and half of the green onion. Stir fry the ingredients until veggies become soft.
- Put your feet in it. When your veggies soften, put in the pig’s feet. Stir in quickly to allow the feet to absorb the aroma from the veggies. Put in Chinese cooking wine, zho hao sauce and shiitake mushrooms. Put on high heat and continue to stir fry. Add in the seasoning mix from Step 5. Add in 1 ½ cup of braising liquid from Step 2. Add in the soybean threads you prepared in Step 3. Continue to stir fry everything now that all of the ingredients are in.
- Simmer. Close the lid and let it all simmer for 30 minutes in medium to low heat.
Serve it piping hot and use the sauce in the wok to bathe the pig’s feet to make it more flavorful.