Chocolate brownies are an irresistible treat. For an even more decadent dessert, top your brownies with chocolate fudge frosting. Many people pull out a boxed mix when they want to make chocolate brownies, but you can make your own from scratch in the same time it would take you to make a boxed mix. Here's how to make chocolate brownies:
Ingredients and supplies:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/2 cup Cocoa powder (optional)
- Chocolate fudge frosting
- Round or square baking pan, approximately 8x8
- Wooden spoon or whisk
- Sharp knife
- Prepare to make chocolate brownies. Before you begin, preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and generously grease your baking pan. For this recipe, you'll need a pan measuring approximately 8" by 8", although you can double the recipe to fill a larger pan.
- Melt butter and chocolate. Add the butter and chocolate to a medium saucepan, and heat over low heat until the mixture has melted. Watch carefully so it does not burn, and as soon as the mixture has melted, remove it from the heat.
- Mix the brownies. Mix the eggs, sugar, and vanilla into the butter/chocolate mixture with a wooden spoon or whisk. Beat lightly for a few minutes until the ingredients have combined. Then stir in the flour, as well as nuts or chocolate chips. You can use regular chocolate chips, or the white chocolate or butterscotch variety. For an even more intense chocolate flavor, add cocoa powder to the batter. Do not overmix the batter, or the texture of your brownies will change.
- Bake the brownies. Spread the brownie batter evenly in the baking pan, and bake for 30 minutes. When they're done, a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan should come out clean. Do not overbake, or they will be dry and crumbly instead of chewy.
- Enjoy! Remove your brownies from the oven and frost them using store-bought or homemade chocolate fudge frosting. Then cut them into bars using a sharp knife. Serve your delicious warm brownies with a glass of cold milk.
Chocolate brownies make a delicious after-school treat for kids, and are also great to have on hand when company arrives. Although you can make them from a boxed mix, they won't be nearly as delicious as this homemade variety.