Freshly baked cream-filled doughnuts are a good way to start your morning. Most people buy doughnuts from the store. However, biting into a freshly made cream-filled doughnut made by you is more fulfilling. Making your own doughnuts at home can take some time but you can do it easily by following some step-by-step instructions. Learn how to make delicious cream-filled doughnuts below.
- Ingredients. The ingredients that you need for the doughnuts are yeast, warm water, sugar, salt, egg, shortening, flour and milk. For the cream filling, you need shortening, butter, vanilla extract, confectioner’s sugar and milk.
- Measure ingredients for the dough. Measure the ingredients that you need for the dough so that it will be easier for you to add later on. You need a pack of the yeast, an egg, 2 ½ cups of flour, 1/6 cup of shortening, half a teaspoon of salt, ¼ cup of sugar, ¾ cup of warm milk and 1/8 cup of warm water.
- Combine the ingredients. Get a large mixing bowl and pour in the warm water. Add the pack of yeast until dissolved. Next, add a cup of flour, milk, sugar, egg, shortening and salt. Beat this mixture for 30 seconds using low speed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to get the ingredients at the center. Beat the mixture for another 2 minutes on medium speed until the ingredients are well blended. Afterward, add the remaining flour to the mixture and mix until it is blended. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit in a warm place for an hour.
- Roll the dough. Now you can roll the dough. Work on a flat surface and sprinkle some flour on your work area. Use a round cookie cutter to form the doughnuts. This recipe should make a dozen doughnuts. Sprinkle some flour on a cookie sheet and arrange the doughnuts. Cover the sheet with plastic wrap to allow the doughnuts to rise. This can take half an hour.
- Fry the doughnuts. Prepare a deep fryer and add some oil. The heat of the oil should be 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a cooking thermometer. Fry the doughnuts when the oil is ready. Allow them to cook for a minute on each side or until they turn golden brown. Prepare a strainer and drain the excess oil from the doughnuts. While the doughnuts are draining, make the cream filling.
- Mix the cream filling. Get a medium sized mixing bowl. Cream ¼ cup each of the butter and shortening. Gradually add half a cup of sugar at a time to the mixture until you have added 2 cups. Mix in a tablespoon of milk and half a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix until the ingredients are well blended.
- Add the filling. When the doughnuts are cool, you can already add the filling. Make a hole on one side of the doughnut and use a piping bag to add the filling inside. Sprinkle some confectioner’s sugar on top of the doughnut.
Now you can make your very own cream-filled doughnuts. Eat the doughnuts
with a cup of coffee in the morning for a boost of energy.