One of the classic treats ever known are rice krispie bars. They are the favorite snacks of children and adults alike. Adults love it because of its nutritional, less fatty contents and children love it because of the simple fact that they are sweet and delicious. There are varieties of rice krispie treats that are available in the market which you can do on your own. Some use chocolates, raisins, marshmallows and even peanut butter.
Rice krispie-making can be fun for you and your child as well, they are very easy to make so your child can partake on the task. Then you can have them bring some for snacks at school.
If you’re ready to make these deluxe bars, here are the ingredients that you should have.
- Kellogg’s rice krispies (Kellogg’s is a well trusted cereal brand. You should use this or you can still substitute for another cereal brand)
- 3 packages of mini marshmallows
- Butter (melted)
- 14 ounces of caramel candies
- 1 can condensed milk (sweetened)
- ½ cup of chocolate chips (baking chocolate chips or semi-sweet)
- Raisins (optional)
Put on your apron and prepare to make these yummy deluxe rice krispie bars.
- Make the krispie bars first. In a heated pan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. It’s not advisable to use margarine because it contains more oil than butter. The butter melts very quickly so be careful not to dry them out. Use only low heat for this procedure. Next, add the mini marshmallows, approximately one package. You can use the regular size marshmallows but it will take some time before they melt. Mini marshmallows melt faster. Be sure everything is melted before adding 6 cups of Kellogg’s rice krispies.
- Mix thoroughly. You will notice that the rice krispies will be sticky and would eventually stick together – that’s natural. After completely blended, spread this mixture out on a 9” x 13” cookie sheet or shallow pan (be sure it has edges). Use another sheet if necessary. Add more marshmallows on top of the rice krispies, use sparingly and don’t cover them completely!
- Make the caramel mixture. In another pan, use low to medium heat to melt 14 ounce bag of caramels. Add ¼ butter, mix and melt. Immediately add 1 small can of condensed milk, sweetened so you won’t have to add sugar and ½ cup of baking chocolate chips or semi-sweet chips. Mix them well until the consistency becomes somewhat sticky. Then pour the mixture over the rice krispies with marshmallow toppings. You can add crushed nuts or raisins on the rice krispies before pouring the caramel mixture.
- Make another batch of rice krispies. You should make another batch of rice krispies that would be placed on top of the caramel syrup as a double layer. Repeat all the instructions of making rice krispie bars prior making the caramel mixture.
After the next batch of rice krispie bars are done, put these on top of the caramel and press lightly. Set aside for at least 3 or 4 hours. Be sure that the mixture has settled before proceeding to cutting them. Then use a sharp knife to cut the krispies into bars.
Another option for this would be to stir and melt chocolate (you can use the microwave) and pour the melted chocolate over the rice krispie bars. You can wrap the bars in individual packaging so your child can eat them one at a time. You can be sure they are healthful snacks to eat during recess and snack time.