It’s hard to ignore cheese-based foodstuffs especially if its finger food. Kids and young-at-heart adults love finger foods. Cheesy bread sticks is one of those foodstuffs that’s great to have during snacks and get together. It is easy to make and it’s also a practical way to teach your kids how to cook. Below are steps on how to make easy cheesy bread sticks.
- Prepare the ingredients to make easy cheesy breadsticks. You need 4 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 ¾ tablespoon of yeast (active dry or quick-rising), 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 ½ tablespoon salt, 1 ½ cup water, and ¼ cup olive oil. Prepare also the needed ingredients for the cheesy bread toppings. These are: 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese, oregano, 1 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoon of dried parsley (crumbled or finely minced), 2 tablespoon of garlic salt, and ¼ cup olive oil.
- Prepare the yeast first. Dissolve the yeast thoroughly in enough warm water.
- Add the dry ingredients for the bread in a mixing bowl. Mix all the ingredients well and evenly. Add the oil, yeasts and water to the mixture. Use a wooden spoon when mixing. Mix the ingredients well until the liquid ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes or until the dough is not sticky to the hands anymore. Put the dough again in the mixing bowl. Cover it with a dish towel. Place the covered bowl somewhere dry and warm. This will encourage better process for the yeast. Leave it there for an hour or two.
- Shape the dough into breadsticks. First, prepare the oven tray by putting on some pantry sheets. Brush some oil on them. Get about a tablespoon of dough and roll it in circle. And then, roll it again between your hands to make it long like a stick. Put the stick on the pantry sheets. Do this over and over again until all the dough is used up. The bread sticks should be about one inch apart to give way for their expansion when they are in the oven.
- Pre-heat the oven at 300oF for about 10 minutes. While you wait, brush the dough with olive oil. Sprinkle them with parmesan, mozzarella, oregano, and garlic powder. Put the dough in the oven once it’s already pre-heated. Bake the cheesy break sticks for about six to eight minutes or until they are bubbly and brown.
- Let the bread to cool down before serving. You can make a complimentary sauce while you wait. Marinara would be great. A creamy sauce would be great, too.
Instead of making sticks, you can also form the dough into different shapes as long as these shapes are not too fat. Others would simply roll out the dough and then slice it into stick-like pieces and bake it that way. It’s fun if you do it this way because once the bread is cooked, you can enjoy twisting the sticks to make them separate. Try on different toppings also like those that compliment the cheese and bread such as rosemary and basil leaves.