Eggnog is a traditional holiday treat, but most of us are used to drinking it straight from a carton from the supermarket. Making it at home is easy and much tastier than the stuff from the waxy box at the grocery.
This recipe yields four servings, but you can easily multiply it for a larger party.
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 pint (2 cups) whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Beat eggs in the blender until frothy.
- Add the sugar with the blender running for one minute.
- Add milk, cream, rum, brandy, and nutmeg.
- Pour your eggnog into mugs and top with additional grated nutmeg.
Disclaimer: This recipe uses raw eggs. I recommend taking precautions with raw eggs, because of the slight risk of salmonella or other food-borne illnesses. To reduce the risk, use grade A or AA eggs with intact shells. Make sure they are fresh, clean, and well refrigerated eggs, and avoid contact between the eggs and the shells.