Fish and chips is a classic dish favored by many kids and adults. Fish and chips is a meal of deep-fried battered or breaded fish served with French fries, or sometimes potato chips. It is usually made with salt water fish, typically flounder or cod. If the fish is frozen, be sure to allow adequate time for it to fully thaw before attempting to make fish and chips with it. Here’s how to make fish and chips:
Ingredients and supplies for fish:
4 fish filets, fully thawed
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cold water, buttermilk, or beer
Cayenne pepper (around 1/2 teaspoon depending on desired spiciness)
Freshly shredded or ground parmesan cheese
Ingredients and supplies for chips:
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon seasonings, to taste
- Mix the batter ingredients together. First, mix the ingredients for the batter (flour, eggs, and liquid) together in a bowl until no large flour lumps remain. Then coat the bottom of the pan in oil, and heat it over medium-low heat.
- Dip the fish. Dip each fish filet in the batter mixture. Make sure each piece is fully covered in the batter.
- Fry the fish. Place each fish filet gently into the pan of hot oil, being careful not to splash the oil. Fry the first side until it becomes golden brown, and then flip over and repeat until the second side is also golden brown. It should take about 4-7 minutes per side. When the fish is done, remove it and lay on a paper towel to allow the excess oil to drain.
- Make the French fries. The “chips” of fish and chips are French fries. They can be made from scratch, or baked from frozen. To make the chips from scratch, peel them and then cut them the long way, into fries. If you’d like, you can also leave the potato skins on. Cook in the same manner as the fish filets. It should take about 20 minutes for the edges of the potatoes to turn golden brown. To test for doneness, poke the potatoes with a fork or knife to make sure they are no longer hard. When finished, remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Serve. Serve the fish and chips with a wedge of lemon and a side of pickles or Cole slaw. Delicious fish and chips should be served hot with cold sides.
This delicious and simple meal is easy to make. If you want to make a lower-fat version, bake the fish and chips in the oven instead of frying them in oil. This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to make fish and chips to serve a crowd.