There isn't much better than a fresh ginger snap cookie, still warm from the oven. This traditional cookie is crisp and delicious and is great for holiday gifts, party snacks, or with your morning coffee. Enjoy!
Prep time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- ¾ cup butter or shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. molasses
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- In a mixing bowl, cream together shortening and brown sugar. This mixture should be light and fluffy with no clumps.
- In another mixing bowl, beat together the egg, salt and molasses.
- Add the molasses mixture to the shortening mixture and beat until just mixed.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cloves, cinnamon and ginger. (It is important to sift the ingredients in this step so that there are no lumps and to evenly mix the ingredients. Do not skip this part!)
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine until mixed well.
- Cover the dough and allow to cool in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (or overnight, preferably).
- Preheat your oven to 350˚F.
- Once the dough is chilled, roll the dough into a 1" round ball. Place onto a greased cookie sheet, making sure to leave space between the cookies.
- Flatten the dough balls with a fork.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until just starting to brown. Do not overcook! Store in an airtight container. Makes 24 cookies.