Gluhwein is a drink made of wine that is heated and mixed with sugar, spices and citrus. It is very popular in European countries. This is usually served during Christmas, and is also said to be good for colds. Gluhwein is also known as mulled wine. It originated from Germany. It all started when wine that has become sour was saved by adding sugar to make it taste better, and not let it go to waste.
To make gluhwein, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1.5 liters red wine
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Orange slices for extra flavor
- 5 – 10 pieces of cloves
- 6 pieces of cinnamon sticks
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 shot of rum or amaretto for extra flavor (optional)
You will also need the following materials:
- Chopping board
- Measuring cup
- Saucepan (big enough to hold 2 liters)
- Drinking cups
- Ladle for stirring
Prepare the materials and ingredients and make sure you have washed your hands thoroughly.
- Wash the lemon and oranges.
- Slice the lemon in half and squeeze out the lemon juice using a juicer.
- Pour in the wine in the saucepan.
- Add the lemon juice and one shot of rum or amaretto.
- Add in the sugar, the cinnamon sticks and a pinch of cloves.
- Once all the ingredients are added, place the saucepan on the stove over low heat. The objective is to heat it in order to thoroughly mix the ingredients but not let the mixture boil.
- Stir the mixture using a ladle to dissolve the sugar.
- Add orange slices while heating the mixture to add more flavor. You may opt to add more slices if you want a more citrus flavor.
- Once the sugar has totally dissolved, turn off the stove and serve the gluhwein while it is warm.
- You may also strain the mixture before serving in a pitcher.
There are other varieties of gluhwein recipe but the ingredients are basically the same. If you want a cinnamon flavored gluhwein, add more cinnamon sticks. Add honey aside from the sugar to add a more natural sweetness to the wine. Use ½ cup of brandy in place of one shot of rum or amaretto. Gluhwein can also be used as a flavoring for other dishes such as baked pears and bananas.
While gluhwein is traditionally served during the Christmas season, you may use this recipe and make gluhwein any time of the year. Gluhwein mix is available in the market, and all you need is to pour it in a pan and heat it before serving. However you want it, now you have options of making your own using the traditional recipe or buying a bottle of ready made gluhwein. The most important thing is to enjoy the warm gluhwein with your family and loved ones during the Christmas season, or at any time that you feel like having a Christmas moment with your loved one.