Hard cider is a popular alcoholic beverage that is both mild and refreshing. With a few basic ingredients and materials at home you can make hard cider. Just follow these steps.
2 1-gallon glass jars with airtight seal
Large metal spoon
Bottles for bottling cider
1 gallon unpasteurized apple juice
1 pound white sugar or honey
1 packet cider or Brewer's yeast
- Prepare equipment. Clean and sterilize the glass jars, lids, saucepan and spoon.
- Heat the apple juice. Pour all the juice into a saucepan and heat on medium for forty-five minutes. Do not bring the juice to a boil. This heating process helps to kill any microorganisms in the juice before the fermentation process begins.
- Pour half the mixture into a glass jar. You will use this remaining juice later in the process. Keep the remaining portion in the saucepan.
- Pour the sugar (or honey) into the saucepan. Keep the stove on medium heat to heat the mixture until the sugar or honey dissolves. Stir often to help the mixture dissolve and blend well.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature. Once cool pour the mixture into the glass jar with the rest of the juice.
- Add yeast. Stir lightly.
- Seal the jar with airlock. The cider will collect bacteria and sour if exposed to the air at any point during the fermentation process.
- Place the jar aside for a month. Keep the jar in an area where the temperature ranges from 60 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Siphon the cider into the second glass jar. You do not want the cider to have any contact with the air so be sure to use the airlock and siphon. When using the siphon leave the sediment that has settled to the bottom of the first jar in the jar. Do not transfer the sediment into the new jar.
- Put the cider away again. Wait another month and keep the jar in the same area with the temperature range of 60 to 70 degrees. This second fermentation cycle should last about one month.
- When the cider is clear, it is ready to drink. If you prefer you can bottle the cider to serve it or let it age for up to six years.
Hard cider is an excellent alternative to beer or harder alcohol. By following these instructions, you can create your own hard cider at home. Be aware that you can get a variety of different tastes depending upon the types of apples you use. Experiment with different tastes until you find the one you love.