Homemade vegetable soup is a hearty and comforting meal perfect for cold evenings. This healthy meal is easy to make with any vegetables you have on hand. Here’s how to make homemade vegetable soup:
Ingredients and supplies:
4 celery stocks
1 medium onion
1 can peas
1 can corn
1 can green beans (or fresh green beans)
6 cups water
Can of tomato juice
Can of diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper, to taste
Chicken or beef (optional)
- Prepare the ingredients. Slice the celery, carrots, and onion. If you are using fresh green beans, chop them into 1” sections. You can use nearly any vegetable to make vegetable soup; just slice them into small pieces, and add them into the soup mixture.
- Prepare the meat. If you are adding meat to your vegetable soup, chop the meat into small chunks, a little smaller than bite-sized.
- Mix together the soup. In a large stockpot, combine all of the vegetables along with the water, tomato juice, and diced tomatoes. Then add the meat, if you will be using any. Stir, and place the stockpot on the stovetop.
- Bring to a boil. Over high heat, bring the mixture to a boil. Then reduce to medium heat and allow it to cook for around two and a half to three hours. This simple meal requires little preparation, and you don’t need to watch it closely as it cooks. In fact, you can even make homemade vegetable soup in a stockpot during the day so you’ll have hot soup to come home to.
- Check for doneness. At the end of the cooking time, the vegetables should be soft but not mushy. If you have added meat, make sure it is cooked all the way through. Taste the vegetables and broth, and add salt or pepper, if needed.
- Enjoy! Make homemade vegetable soup with grilled cheese sandwiches, or serve with crackers or buttered bread.
Make homemade vegetable soup for lunch or dinner and enjoy the leftovers the next day. If you plan to save some for leftovers, allow to cool completely before transferring it to a container for the refrigerator or freezer. There are many variations on the classic vegetable soup, including those that use potatoes, zucchini, cauliflower, and other vegetables. Homemade vegetable soup is a great way to use up leftover vegetables, since you can use nearly any vegetable you have on hand.