Are you craving some down home taste instead of fake mayo full of preservatives? Believe it or not, you can make mayonnaise at home with a fresh taste with very little effort. Follow this recipe and you’ll be able to make mayonnaise.
1 cup vegetable oil
2-3 drops of lemon juice
- Separate the egg. You will need the yolk for the recipe and can save the egg white for an omelet later.
- Beat the egg yolk in the small bowl. Make sure that you are prepared for a long time of whisking. Once you start you cannot stop whisking or the mayonnaise emulsion you’re creating will fail.
- Add drops of lemon juice. Stir using the whisk as you add the lemon juice.
- Slowly drip the oil into the bowl while whisking. This is the most important part of making mayonnaise. You must use a minute amount of oil at a time so that it blends thoroughly. Start with a drop at a time and whisk rapidly. As you whisk and add the oil you should notice the yolk is starting to get creamier and thicken.
- Add another drop or two of lemon juice if the mayo is becoming too thick. Continue whisking as you drip the oil into the yolk. Add the juice if it becomes too thick to continue whisking. Add the full cup (8 ounces) of oil to the egg. You should notice the mix is starting to look like mayonnaise.
- Taste and flavor. Once you have added all the oil to the egg and it is full mixed and emulsified, you can put down the whisk. Take a taste on your fingertip. Season with additional lemon juice and kosher salt, until the mayo is to your liking.
Making your own mayonnaise at home takes some arm muscle and time but requires only a few common ingredients. When making this recipe, remember that it only makes a small amount of mayonnaise because it won’t keep in the refrigerator longer than one week.