Pea soup is one of the more traditional soups that most people love. It is what you may call, comfort food. Pea soup, however, can be a little difficult to make when made through the traditional method. Perhaps it is the constant stirring that makes cooking pea soup the traditional way a bit of a hassle. Good thing there is a way to cook pea soup the easier way. Now if you want to comfort yourself with a bowl of pea soup, you can prepare it easily with the use of a crock pot. Follow the steps below to have your pea soup the easier way.
- Get and prepare your ingredients. You will be needing a 16 oz. pack of split green peas, a large bulb of onion, about 4 stalks of celery, 4 medium-sized carrots, 2 potatoes, 1 chicken cube, 1 ham bone, 6 cups of hot water, 2 cloves of garlic and your trusted crock pot.
- Get your peas ready. Take your pack of split green peas, and place in a colander. Rinse the peas thoroughly and drain any remaining water. Pick out any other things that might look out of place, like rocks or other random pieces. Pour the peas into the crock pot.
- Ham it up. Take the ham bone you've been saving since the holidays. Place the whole bone into the crock pot. Don't worry; you don't have to defrost the bone first before you add this. Straight from the freezer will work just fine. It is best if there is still a bit of meat in the ham bone, so there will be more meat in your soup. This will also greatly increase the flavors of your pea soup.
- Cut up the potatoes, carrots and celery. Chop the carrots and potatoes into small to medium-sized pieces, but make sure that you have rinsed, dried and peeled them first. You may also use baby carrots and skip chopping them. Add the potatoes and carrots to the crock pot. Next, chop your celery into medium pieces. As with the potatoes and carrots, make sure that you have rinsed and dried the celery first. Add the chopped celery into the crock pot as well.
- Add onions and the chicken bouillon cube. Chop the onions and add them into the pot. Take the chicken cubes and add them into the pot, too. You should look for the low-sodium variety for a healthier soup.
- Cook the soup. Now that you have all the main ingredients in the crock pot, add the hot water and garlic into the mix. Stir the ingredients then cook on high for about 2 hours. Don't forget to cover the pot while the soup is cooking. Lower the heat, and cook for another 2 hours. Stir the soup occasionally to prevent the ingredients from sticking to the pot.
Your pea soup is now ready. Serve the soup while hot, and include bread
and butter when you are serving to your guests. If there is leftover
soup, transfer the contents into a plastic bowl or container and freeze.
When you reheat the soup, add a bit of water, since it may become a bit
thick. This recipe makes about 7-8 servings.