Lasagna is one of the most popular pasta dishes that kids enjoy. It is a simple dish but can be really delicious when executed well. One of the things that make lasagnas so delicious is the cheese that is added in between the layers of lasagna and on top. The ricotta cheese balances the flavors of the dish and it also gives the lasagna the creamy rich taste. Find out how you can make the ricotta cheese mixture so that you can serve the best tasting lasagna.
- Ingredients to prepare. The ingredients that you need to prepare are ricotta cheese, eggs, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese. Prepare some mixing bowls and a wire whisk too. Make sure that you purchase fresh ricotta cheese from the grocery store. Check the expiration date on the package. There are 3 types of ricotta cheese that you can use. Choose the one that you like best.
- Make the egg mixture. Crack about 2 eggs on a mixing bowl. Use your whisk and mix the eggs until forming a froth. Afterward, add the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to the eggs and whisk again until the ingredients are well blended. Set aside the eggs to use later.
- Prepare ricotta cheese. In another mixing bowl, separate the cheese with a fork or a spoon. You need to do this so that the ricotta cheese does not clump up. Afterward, sprinkle some shredded parmesan cheese to the ricotta cheese and use a fork to mash the cheeses together until the parmesan cheese is well distributed. You may notice that there are no measurements provided. This is a matter of taste. You can add more parmesan or more ricotta cheese if that is what you prefer.
- Blend the mixture together. When the ricotta cheese and parmesan cheese are well mixed, pour the egg mixture in. Mix the ingredients together until you can no longer see the egg mixture. You can add a bit more of the Italian seasoning. Now you are done with your ricotta cheese mixture for the lasagna.
- Use the ricotta cheese mixture. Prepare your lasagna baking dish and add a base of lasagna pasta. Add the meat layer and then the ricotta cheese mixture. Do another layer of lasagna pasta, meat and then ricotta cheese. Do this until you run out of the pasta and meat. You can top the lasagna dish with the ricotta mixture, grated cheddar cheese and some bread crumbs to get that crunchy layer on top. Afterward, bake the lasagna in your oven according to your recipe. Let the lasagna cool for a bit before serving.
These are the steps in making the ricotta cheese mixture for your lasagna. Making the ricotta cheese mixture is really easy. You can also substitute the ricotta cheese for another type of cheese that you like. You can use cottage cheese to alter the taste a bit. You can also make béchamel sauce and add the ricotta cheese so that you have variety in your lasagna.