There are many versions of Shepherd's Pie but the following recipe seems to be the most favored among them all. It is cheap and easy to make yet very tasty. You don't have to be a gourmet chef to enjoy the down-home comfort of this delicious dish.
- 2 lbs. potatoes
- 3/4 c. milk
- 3 T. butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion
- 1 lb. bag of frozen vegetables
- 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup
- 1c. grated chedder cheese
- Boil potatoes until soft.
- Drain and mash; adding the butter, milk and salt. Set aside
- Brown hamburger in skillet.
- When ground beef is no longer pink, add chopped onion and fry until tender.
- Put the finished ground beef into a large bowl and add the vegetables.
- Next add the cream of mushroom soup.
- Stir all together.
- Pour meat mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 in casserole dish.
- Top with mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees until pie is hot all the way through.
- Serve while hot.