Shredded beef can make great meals in a second. It is commonly used for Mexican recipes like burritos, chimichangas, tacos and enchiladas. It is an alternative to using ground beef in recipes. Here is a melt-in-your-mouth, easy recipe on how to make the best shredded beef you will ever taste. This recipe makes 8 incredibly yummy servings.
- Get your ingredients ready. It will take you around 20 minutes to prepare your ingredients and cooking materials. Ask your butcher for the best cut of 5 lbs of chuck roast. Measure and set aside 3 crushed cloves of garlic; a tablespoon each of paprika, celery salt, garlic powder, and dried parsley; a half tablespoon of dried parsley, ground pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic salt, mustard powder and dried tarragon. Pour out 4 ounces of beer (any brand). Put aside a tablespoon and a half of Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoons of hot pepper sauce, and 2 teaspoons of liquid smoke flavoring. Chop an onion, a green bell pepper, and 2 jalapenos. Your best cut for making shredded beef is to buy chuck roast, bottom round, or beef brisket. Ask your butcher which has the best cut.
- Prepare your cooking utensils. You will be using a sharp knife, a slow cooker, several small bowls, a plate and 2 forks.
- Prepare your roast. Make holes in the roast about an inch deep. Use a knife. Get the crushed garlic and place them in the holes you made.
- Combine the dry herbs and seasonings. Get one of the small mixing bowls and make a seasoning rub of iodized salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, parsley, garlic powder, celery salt and paprika. Mix it really well. You can place it in a zip lock bag and just shake it. Rub it on the meat.
- Mix the liquid ingredients altogether. Get the beer, Perrins sauce (Worcestershire sauce), liquid smoke and hot pepper sauce and mix it.
- Place the meat in the slow cooker. Pour the mixture on the meat. Include the bell peppers, jalapeno chilies and the chopped onion.
- Plug the slow cooker and place it on low setting. Cook for 10 hours. Try not to keep taking the cover off while cooking. Set the timer for 10 hours (or you can set your alarm clock). Several hours into the cooking, move roast around the slow cooker to distribute flavors.
- Here are some tips. If the meat is too salty for you, add potatoes to absorb the saltiness. If it is too spicy, add a cup of water to the slow cooker to dilute the spiciness. Do these 2 hours before cooking ends.
When the beef is well cooked, and needs shredding, place roast on a
plate and with 2 forks, shred the beef. Since it was cooked in the slow
cooker, the meat will be tender and will shred easily. When you’re done
shredding, put it back into the slow cooker so it will mix with the
This recipe may take some time cooking but the wait is worth it. Your friends will surely ask how you made it!