The difficulty of making a homemade smoothie for your baby is minimal. There are several advantages for making the smoothie instead of purchasing one. Smoothies are one of the healthiest snacks or meals that you can prepare, especially if you use soy, almond, or rice milk in the making process.
Some of the things that you will need for making a smoothie is a baby bottle or sippy cup with a soft nipple; soy milk, almond milk, or rice milk; 1 jar of baby food (preferably stage 1 or 2 nothing with chucks) - fruit variety; and 1 tablespoon baby cereal.
- The first step in preparing a smoothie is taking the nipple or sippy cup nipple and cutting a small "x" on the top. Use a sharp knife to make the "x". Work slowly as silicone cuts very easily. Be careful not to cut yourself in this step. The reason to cut the "x" in the top is so that it’s easier for the smoothie drink to pass through.
- The second step is take the fruit variety baby food and pour it into the bottle/sippy cup. If you prefer a pure natural smoothie you can take fresh fruit and puree it in a blender. Make sure the fruits consistence is smooth without any chunks.
- The third step is to add 1 tablespoon of baby cereal. The best type of cereal to use is oatmeal. It is easier to digest on your baby’s stomach. If you would like you can use whatever kind of cereal that your baby likes.
- The fourth step in preparing a smoothie for your baby is to fill the bottle/sippy cup up with soy milk, almond milk, or rice milk; whatever your baby prefers.
- The last step is screwing the top on the bottle/sippy cup and covering the "x" with your finger. Shake the bottle/cup until the ingredients are mixed well together and you have achieved the consistency of a smoothie.
For an easier way of mixing you can combine all the ingredients in the blender after pureeing the fruit. After blending all the ingredients, pour the smoothie mixture from the blender to the bottle/cup and serve. If you find the smoothie mixture to thick just add a little more milk and blend a bit longer till it reaches the consistency you want.
If you prefer to you can mix more of the smoothie together, and after preparing it you can put it into a air tight container and refrigerate it for no more than 24 hours.
I hope that this is a snack that your baby really enjoys. Now you can try various other flavors by changing the fruit, milk, or cereal. There is an endless combination of ingredients you can use. ENJOY!!