Sponge cake is a deliciously light and airy cake. It can be eaten plain, and is also used as the basis for petit fours, as well as layered cake desserts and other treats. Here's how to make a sponge cake:
Ingredients and supplies:
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 ounces corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.6 ounces butter
- 2 mixing bowls
- Rubber spatula
- Spring-form baking pan
- Sharp knife
- Prepare the ingredients. Separate the eggs into one bowl of egg whites and one bowl of egg yolks. Melt the butter in your microwave or using a saucepan. Finally, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the eggs. Mix all eight egg yolks on high speed until they turn creamy. Then add 2 tablespoons of sugar, and continue mixing for a few minutes, allowing the mixture to thicken.
- Continue mixing. Continue mixing the egg yolks until the mixture doubles in size, and then add the vanilla extract.
- Mix the egg whites. Wash the mixer before moving on to the egg whites. It is very important that no fat from the egg yolks makes it into the egg whites. In a second bowl, whip the egg whites on high until they become white and frothy. Now, add the remaining sugar slowly. The egg whites are done when they become stiff. They should stick to the beater and not drip.
- Combine the two bowls. Now, combine the egg yolks and the egg whites. Fold them together with a rubber spatula, but do not overmix. If you overmix, your sponge cake will turn out too dense. To ensure that your sponge cake turns out light and airy, work as quickly as you can when preparing the cake.
- Finish adding ingredients. Now, mix the flour and cornstarch into the eggs. Slowly mix it into the cake, don't mix it in all at the same time. Fold together, again taking care not to overmix. Finally, add the melted butter to the mix.
- Bake. Transfer the batter to the spring-form pan, and spread evenly with the spatula. Give the pan a few shakes to remove any remaining air pockets. After 30 minutes in the oven, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Remove from pan. Let the cake cool for half an hour before removing it from the pan. Once cool, slide a sharp knife between the cake and the pan to loosen it.
You can coat it in frosting or jam, or add cream and other fillings.