Break the chocolate cake tradition with home made cakes made from fruits. Banana, orange and strawberry are the most delicious and nutritious fruits. For today, let us try to make a mouth watering yet healthy cake from strawberries. Try one of these strawberry shortcake recipes:
Shortcake recipe #1: Crisco Style
Ingredients for the strawberry mixture:
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 pints cut strawberries
Ingredients for the shortcake:
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2-teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup milk
2 cups all purpose flour from Pillsbury
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening from Crisco
Cooking spray from Crisco
What to do:
- Mix the ingredients for the strawberry mixture. Toss and cover. Keep in the refrigerator for about two to four hours.
- Turn the oven at 4250F.
- Use the cooking spray on the baking sheet.
- In a bowl, mix the salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder.
- Use a pastry blender to make the shortcake: Make a well – a center for your flour mixture.
- Beat the eggs. Mix the vanilla and the milk. Pour this combination into the center of the flour mixture. Make sure that the first and the latter are mixed meticulously.
- Make smooth rounds of shortcake mixture on the baking sheet.
- Drop a little butter on each.
- Bake this for eleven minutes. Wait until it turns light brown before you take it out. Cool on a rack.
- Cut the cake. Put equal amount of strawberries in each slice. Put the whipped cream on top. Serve.
Shortcake recipe #2: General Style
This style is the easiest and is the widely known way to make strawberry shortcake. In this style, you may also use the same ingredients. An additional ingredient, which is biscuits, is the only difference. It is up to you to add or lessen the amount of each ingredient.
What to do:
- Mix the strawberries and sugar. The sugar should be sprinkled a few grains at a time. Make sure that the strawberries are equally coated. Remember to use only the amount of sugar that you need.
- Put the strawberries in the refrigerator for an hour or two.
- After this, you will notice syrup being formed. The syrup is the result of the chemical reaction between the sugar and the strawberries’ moisture.
- Mix the vanilla and the chilled cream.
- In a blender, whip the mixture. Take notice of the volume.
- If you see the cream is airy and light, stop the whipping. Make sure that the cream is not stiff. To make sure that you did it right, the mixture should be easy to pour.
- Slice your biscuits in half horizontally. To help you slice the biscuits easier, use a serrated knife.
- Place a biscuit on the plate. Add the strawberry syrup. Top with whipped cream. As a final touch, put a strawberry on top.
- Serve right away. The presentation will be ruined if you will serve it after a long time.
- You may also add some mint plant as garnish.
Make all occasions or just an ordinary day special with a homemade strawberry shortcake. Your loved ones will surely love to eat this mouth-watering cake with you. Why not set up a surprise in a garden with the strawberry plants all around!