This is a quick and easy recipe for stuffed shells that will surely hit your favorite recipe collection. The down-home flavors of ground beef, garlic and cheese mingle just perfectly to create this absolutely scrumptious family meal.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb. ground beef, preferably lean
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- ¼ cup saltine cracker crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 20 - 24 large pasta shells for stuffing (approximately 1 package)
- 3 ½ cups spaghetti sauce (2 jars is fine)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic
- 1 egg
- Handful of parsley, chopped
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, brown the beef, onions and garlic together until cooked through. Drain off any excess fat and allow to cool.
- Stir in the mozzarella cheese, crackers, parsley, egg and salt and pepper to taste. This will be your stuffing mixture. Set aside until pasta is ready.
- Cook the shells as per the package directions to al dente (not too tender). Drain the shells once cooked and rinse in cool water until they are comfortable to handle.
- Preheat your oven to 350˚F.
- Stuff each shell with your stuffing mixture.
- In a 9x13 baking dish, pour about a cup of spaghetti sauce to cover the bottom. Place the stuffed shells side by side in the dish. Pour any remaining sauce on top of the shells and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake the stuffed shells in the oven uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and just turning brown. Serves 6.
Stuffed shells are a classic family favorite that every child, adult and guest will enjoy and rave about. It's simple to prepare and once you've tried it, you'll realize just how often you'll be making this for your admiring family.