Chilla or cheela are Indian pancakes. These pancakes are made out of chickpea flour or lentils. Preparing Indian pancakes is a bit different from the regular pancakes that you eat. Rather than adding fruits or maple syrup, Indian pancakes are made with some vegetables. Find out how you can make sweet Indian pancakes at home by reading the procedure provided below.
- Ingredients to prepare. The ingredients that you need to prepare are chickpea flour, coriander powder, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, water, salt, cabbage, carrots and onions. This recipe is for 4 servings. You can double the recipe if you are cooking for more people.
- Prepare and measure ingredients. Measure 2 cups of chickpea flour, 1 ¼ cups of water, 1 ½ teaspoon of coriander powder, a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, half a teaspoon of ground cumin, 1 ¼ cups of water and 1/3 cup each of the onions, carrots and cabbage.
- Mix the pancake batter. Prepare a large mixing bowl. Add the chickpea flour, water, a dash of salt, coriander powder, cayenne pepper and ground cumin. Mix the ingredients together until they are well blended. You should end up with a thin batter but it should not be runny. Use a wire whisk to mix the batter so that you can get fid of the flour lumps. When the batter is smooth, add the carrots, onions and cabbages and mix again.
- Cook the pancakes. Prepare a skillet and heat some oil. Use a ladle to scoop the pancake batter on the skillet when the oil is hot. Make sure that you add just enough batter into the skillet since it will still spread when you pour. Cook the pancake until you see some bubbles forming on top. This means that the pancake is ready to be flipped. Flip the pancake and cook the other side. Finish all the batter.
- Serve the pancakes. These pancakes are best served hot. You can serve them with catsup, mint leaves, plain yogurt or toasted bread.
These are the easy steps in making Indian pancakes. Chilla is just one type of Indian pancake that you can make. You can make other types of Indian pancakes for variation. Find out other Indian pancake recipes by visiting the websites below.
Semolina Pancakes – This website has a recipe for semolina pancakes. Semolina pancakes are Indian vegetarian pancakes that are made of semolina, curd and vegetables. This is a good recipe to try if you are big on healthy foods. It is best served with some mint chutney or tomato sauce.
Appom Indian Pancakes – This site has the recipe for appom Indian pancakes. Appom Indian pancakes are made of rice flour, coconut milk and some rice. It is a delicious pancake recipe that is also filling since it has flour and rice.
Savory Indian Pancakes – Savory Indian pancakes are made of mung beans and ginger root. These pancakes are not only good to eat for breakfast but also for lunch and dinner.
Try to make these other Indian pancake recipes at home, so that you can serve something different for breakfast.